The “How-To” Guide for Perfect Eyebrows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Rules to Plucking Your Own Eyebrows                        
Do not pluck on top of your eyebrow, always pluck below. Also, never pluck the eyelashes inside of your eyebrow, only pluck around the edges. Your eyebrows have a natural arch – only pluck stray hairs so that the arch is visible. Another good rule of thumb is to use the distance from the first knuckle on your pointer finger to the second knuckle as a guide for the space in between your eyebrows. Do not use razors to shape your eyebrows, even if they are specifically designed for that purpose. These cut off the hairs rather than pulling them from the root which will cause your eyebrows to grow back quicker and thicker.

Filling In Your Eyebrows
Ever had an eyebrow waxing gone wrong? Accidentally plucked too much of your eyebrows? Or maybe they ended up uneven? Find a soft makeup pencil that is slightly lighter than your eyebrows and a powder or matte eye shadow that matches your eyebrows. Draw in natural-looking, hair-like strokes in the places where hair should be. Using a thin angled brush, brush on the powder to help blend the pencil. The powder should naturally stick to the pencil. 

Threading vs. Waxing
Both are professional services that average around the same costs; by weighing the pro’s and con’s you can decide which technique is best for you.

Threading can only be used for hair at least 1/16” in length. Intertwined threads wrap around the hair and pull it out from the roots causing a sensation similar to that of tweezing. No chemicals are used in the process which eliminates the possibility of an allergic reaction or a breakout.

Waxing also removes hair from the roots and can be used on shorter hairs than threading can. Repeated waxing can sometimes stop hair growth altogether, but returning trips to a salon can be costly. It’s easier to shape eyebrows when waxing but the wax can sometimes cause an allergic reaction or clog the pores around the eyebrow which leads to a breakout.

How to Avoid Breakouts After an Eyebrow Waxing
Always exfoliate before getting your eyebrows waxed. This gets rid of dead skin cells that could potentially clog your pores. After getting waxed, avoid the lotion of oil that is typically rubbed on freshly groomed eyebrows – instead, wash your face thoroughly and use an astringent or tea tree oil on the waxed area.

Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.