How to Decorate for Thanksgiving in Your First Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The time for Thanksgiving is approaching fast, which means it’s time to probably change over from your Halloween-inspired living room, to a more sophisticated Thanksgiving-themed living space. Here are a few tips on how to decorate for thanksgiving when living in your first apartment. 

Use a Fake Leaf Garland: A small garland helps to bring attention to certain areas such as windows or fireplaces, so a leaf garland would bring a nice fall touch, without going overboard. What is also great about these are that you can either buy them or you can make them with some twine, hot glue and fake leaves. 

Put a Wreath on your door: A wreath is a simple and easy way to welcome someone into your home, as well as express some holiday cheer. You can find a cheap one on amazon for only about $25, or you can look up how to make one on Pinterest.

Add some Festive Candles You can add some pretty candles around the room to give a cute and homey look to any mantle or coffee table. Try adding some that are scented with things that remind you of that holiday, such as cinnamon or pumpkin.

Put out a Thankful Box If you want to try and bring you and your family closer together, you can put out what is called a “thankful box” and some cute little note cards for your family and friends to write what they are thankful for and place in the box. At the end of the evening, you can take turns reading cards from the box or you can just keep them for yourself.

I hope these ideas find their way into some of your Thanksgiving decor and your apartment. Get festive! 

Photo Credits: Cover1, 2

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!