This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In light of recent events; the Charlottesville incident, nation-wide police violence, DACA termination, etc., it has become evident that now is the time to step up and speak up against violence and racism. Although, to be honest, it has been that time for quite a while. Many of whom are most affected have been crying out against the injustice in the U.S. for quite a while, and it is high time for everyone else to listen and add to their voices.

Being a good person is not about changing what affects you. It is about helping to change things that seemingly have nothing to do with you. So, if you are in any position of privilege, now is the time to follow up on all the Facebook profile frames and deep retweets you have been posting on social media for the past few months. Now is the time to say something. Now is the time to do something.        

Being an ally means that, while you are not a part of a disprivileged group, you support them and want them to have equality. You take on that groups issues and use what privilege and power you have to aid in solving those issues. There are many aspects to being an ally and many that will be special to each case, but these few guidelines can help anyone be a better ally.

1. Educate yourself

Despite what many people seem to think, it is not a minority group’s responsibility to ensure that everyone is educated on the issues affecting them. To do so is a huge undertaking and a tiring one. So, instead, do your research. Educate yourself so you can be informed and inform those around you.

2. Listen

Understand that you do not have a completely informed opinion because you do not live that life. So, you have to listen to what is being said by those less privileged than you who live that reality every day. That is the best way to learn.

3. Learn about your contribution to the system

Just because you are an activist or “woke,” does not mean that what you do and how you live does not cause problems. Even if you don’t mean to, your participation in the systems that negatively affect minorities and disprivileged groups is part of the problem. So analyze the way you live and see what you can do differently. Sometimes that means changing the way you speak (as in the terms you use), or being more conscious of what company you are buying from or other lifestyle changes.

4. Use your privilege

For example, as a white person and citizen of the U.S., I am in less danger of being arrested at a protest against the termination of DACA and am in absolutely no danger of being deported if arrested. So in cases like this, allies are the people who really need to be showing up to protests, using their voice, writing to congressmen and all the plethora of other options we have to use our privilege for good.

5. Know when to shut up

Yes, allies need to raise their voices. However, know that you should be amplifying other’s voices. When a member of a disprivileged group or minority is speaking, let them. Places like rallies, informational meetings and vigils are safe spaces for those most affected to have a chance to have their voices heard. This is a time for you to listen.

This site has an excellent, more in depth guide to being an ally, if you want to know more. Stand up, fight back.

Photo credits: pixabay and giphy

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!