This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Vegan baking can sound pretty confusing and flavorless, but you can actually make some of the tastiest treats. It’s possible to bake cookies, cakes and more without using traditional dairy products and eggs. Some vegan goodies will even taste just like regularly baked items. The great part about vegan baking is that it is much healthier to consume than a regularly baked good. Also, eating the leftover batter is never a problem since salmonella in eggs isn’t an issue. Thinking about trying some vegan baking? Here are some essential vegan alternatives that you can hide in your next batch of baked goods:

1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is a really beneficial product on its own, but it is also used in vegan baking. It can be combined with any dairy-free milk to create a sort of ‘buttermilk.’ The milk curdles a little when it combines with the cider, but it gives cakes and flapjacks a fluffy interior.

2. Flaxseed Meal: One tablespoon of ground flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons of water can actually substitute an egg. All you have to do is let it set for about five minutes and the mixture becomes gooey, just like an egg. It helps bind ingredients together and doesn’t leave a weird taste.

3. Almond Meal: Almond meal is made of, you guessed it, ground almonds. It’s a great alternative for regular flour if there are any gluten or paleo restrictions. It’s also great for low-carb baking. It tastes great in cookies and in muffins. The protein in almonds also helps keep you full for a while.

4. Oat Flour: Oat flour tastes great in baked goods because it makes them more moist than other flours. It is also rich in fiber that will help lower high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

5. Coconut Sugar: This sugar is made out of the dehydrated sap of the coconut palm. It is known for being a healthier alternative for granulated sugar. It may even have less of an impact on blood sugar than other sweeteners.

6. Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Soy Milk: Almond, coconut and soymilk are all great alternatives for folks who can’t consume dairy. They taste just as good as regular milk and substitute well in recipes.

7. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is very versatile. Not only is it great for skin and hair, but it works well in food! It’s also high in natural saturated fats that increase healthy cholesterol. It tastes even better in brownies.

8. Apple Sauce: Apple sauce is a popular alternative for oil or melted butter. It is also known for reducing fat in goodies.

9. Vegan Butter: Butter is known for being unhealthy, but vegan butter is a healthier alternative. It has the same consistency as butter and even melts!

10. Maple Syrup or Agave Syrup: Maple and agave syrup are way healthier alternatives for sweeteners like sugar. You may have to add a bit, but it’s totally worth it and packs a sweet kick. It also blends well in mixes.

Photo Credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 , 9, 10, 11                                                                                

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!