This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name: Haley Kurtze

Age: 19

Major: Fashion Merchandising

Hometown: Richmond

Place of employment: Chloe’s Hair Studio

Spirit animal: Kanye because he is artistic and unapologetically himself.

Would you rather be able to communicate with animals or be able to speak all languages fluently? Speak all languages fluently.

If you were only allowed to wear one color for the rest of your life what would it be? Black.

Most embarrassing moment? I was shampooing a client and the shampoo smelled like mints. I told her it smelled like menthol not knowing that menthol is a synonym for cigarettes!

Top Five Haley Kurtze Essentials:

1. Balayage
  2. Instagram
  3. Ice Coffee
  4. Dry Shampoo
  5. “Beautiful Girls” by Sean Kingston

Self-made, fashionista and balayage queen are just a few words to describe VCU sophomore, Haley Kurtze. Learn about her work in the beauty industry, inspiration and media branding.

Richmond is not necessarily a new territory for Kurtze. Growing up in the Richmond area meant its unique culture was never too far out of reach. Some of her favorite things to do around Richmond include going vintage shopping, photo shoots down Monument Ave and trying new food. A new recent restaurant discovery of hers is 10 Italian Café in Carytown. Ever since she was little, Kurtze was interested in everything girly. Starting as early as the fifth grade she started googling “makeup for glasses” which led to a YouTube makeup obsession and her own vlogging channel self-titled, Haley Kurtze. As a newly licensed stylist (congratulations!) she says the best part about being involved in the beauty industry is making people feel good and watching their confidence change.

If you follow Kurtze on any social media, you know she never misses a chance to dress her best. She finds her fashion inspiration through celebreties such as the Jenners, Vanessa Hudgens, Lauren Conrad and Whitney Port to name a few. YouTube is also a big source. Check out bloggers Cara Loren and Amber Fillerup, two of Kurtze’s favorite fashion and beauty bloggers. When it comes to branding and maintaining an image, her advice stems beyond keeping up with an Instagram aesthetic, she says anyone looking to brand themselves should

“Stay consistent, figure out your vibe, figure out what image you’re trying to portray and be yourself, and of course hashtags!” Kurtze said.

For the time being, Kurtze will continue her education at VCU and continue working as a hair stylist. After that, who knows, she is just “riding the wave,” but would someday like to work within the fashion and beauty industry or continue her involvement with social media.

Check out her social media accounts for examples of her work and fashion inspiration!

Twitter: @HaleyKurtze

Instagram: @haleykurtze

YouTube: Haley Kurtze

Website: http://www.haleykurtze.com

Check her out at her new location, Chloe’s Hair Studio!

Peyton is pursuing a B.A in Fashion Merchandising with two minors in media studies and business. She is a health and wellness enthusiasts and enjoys teaching cycle classes at the local university gym. When she isn't yelling a participants on bikes she is exploring Richmond, most likely with a coffee in her hand.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!