Greek Of The Week: Lauryn Johnson from Alpha Gamma Delta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This week’s Greek of the Week is Lauryn Johnson from Alpha Gamma Delta! Lauryn’s love and commitment to her sorority has inspired many around the VCU campus and her passion for Greek unity sets her apart as an outstanding representative for Greek life!

***

Lauryn Johnson

Sorority: Alpha Gamma Delta

Mascot: Skiouros the Squirrel 

Motto: Live with Purpose

Colors: Red, Buff, Green

Quick Facts about Lauryn:

Age: 19

Major: Business major and Marketing minor

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Great Falls, Virginia

Relationship Status: In a relationship (with a guy who is also in Greek life!)

Sorority Position: None right now, but I did all of the social media for Alpha Gam! I’m also running for a couple of positions including Sisterhood chair!

Lauryn’s Favorites:

Color: Blue

Animal: Dog

Designer: I don’t really have one but you’ll probably catch me in Vans most days!

Season: Summer

Food: Pizza and Buffalo Wings

Store: South Moon Under

Book: Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

Why did you choose to come to VCU?

I came from an extremely diverse high school so I knew that I wanted to continue that trend when I went to college. I applied, and my parents made me check out VCU just to be safe. I immediately fell in love. The diversity of the type of people here made me immediately comfortable but being in the city was a huge, exciting change.

Why did you choose to join Alpha Gamma Delta?

I actually just went through recruitment as a favor for my hall-mate freshman year whom was nervous to do it alone. I wasn’t planning on joining anything. I knew Alpha Gam was for me when I tripped down the stairs in the room and spent the remainder of the time exchanging embarrassing stories and laughing till I cried. I felt so at ease, I knew it was home.

What is something unique to Alpha Gamma Delta?

Alpha Gamma Delta as an International Women’s Fraternity really stresses that this is not just for four years, it’s for life. The Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation provides scholarships, educational grants and emergency financial assistance for sisters who urgently need it down the road. It’s really cool that your support system doesn’t just fade after you graduate, you know you always have people behind you to help.

Describe a time when your sisters were really there for you.

Over the last year, I’ve had really bad health issues that despite attempts to solve and endless doctor visits, I couldn’t get figured out. It ended up getting really frustrating and killing my spirit. Opening up to my sisters about it brought me back down to planet earth, rejuvenated my spirit and provided me with an astounding support system. I partially attribute my current good health to the positive mindset they helped me gain.

How do you respond to people who are afraid to join a sorority due to rumors of hazing?

We’ve all seen the articles and news stories about hazing but I cannot stress enough that these stories do not represent Greek life as a whole. VCU and Alpha Gamma Delta have a zero tolerance policy and it’s followed. Your organization should only build you up, not tear you down.

How do you respond to people who think that you are paying for your friends?

Dues cover a ton of different things but they don’t cover friendship. If I was paying for the friendship of these girls, I’m certainly not paying enough.

What do you feel is a common misconception about sorority women?

I think a common misconception is that women in Greek life are airheads. To be eligible to go through recruitment and to be considered in “good standing” you have to maintain a certain G.P.A. Some of the smartest people I’ve ever met, I’ve met through my sorority. I have sisters studying to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, nurses and more. I think some people let the Greek letters on t-shirts, bags and the occasional monogram fool them.

How has being in a sorority changed your life?

I think being an Alpha Gamma Delta has made me a more positive, better person. I remember that I made a promise that I will always be wearing my letters even when I am not physically wearing them. It’s easy to want to be better when you’re representing something bigger than yourself.

Are you involved in any organization outside of Alpha Gamma Delta?

Not yet! I want to start volunteering with the ASPCA and am toying with the idea of trying out for the Quidditch team.

Which celebrity do you look up to and why?

I really look up to Ellen DeGeneres. She is such a positive, considerate and selfless person. Ellen worked hard from very little to become an immensely popular, successful woman. She fearlessly expresses her opinions on serious and controversial topics which sets a precedent that people shouldn’t be afraid to speak their mind. Moreover, she is an advocate for loving who you are no matter what you look like, how much you weigh, or the way you feel. Not to mention she geeks! 

What is your favorite spot in Richmond?

There’s an overlook in Oregon Hill that is really pretty! It has an awesome view of both Belle Isle and the city.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I love to watch the Washington Capitals play, hang out with my friends, read, play with animals and paint.

What do you hope to accomplish with your degree?

Hands down my dream job since middle school was to do marketing for a sports team, in particular an NHL team. If all works out according to plan I will be working my dream job doing marketing for the Washington Capitals.

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!