Good Clear Sound – Ram Slam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

“Ooh. I feel so good like. I knew I would. Ooh! I! Feel! So! Good!” Shake out your sleep deprived and overworked bones and get ready for some soul searching!

Accurate representation of me during this part of the evening

Good Clear Sound, VCU’s Slam Poetry organization, started the night off with their first Ram Slam of the season with music and a shake-out for the audience and participants. I had the pleasure to attend this Ram Slam and interview Good Clear Sound’s president, Brittney Maddox.

When was Good Clear Sound established?

It’s been a thing at VCU since 2010/2011 and was started by Rob Gibsun

What is Good Clear Sound?

It’s a spoken word team that competes at different festivals. VCU sends their teams to CUPSI, the College Union Poetry Slam Invitational each year to compete with 70+ other schools from the United States and Canada. Next year it will be held in the University of Texas, Austin. We placed second last year when VCU hosted (CUPSI) at the Student Commons.

How else is Good Clear Sound involved?

We do writing workshops and flash mobs, so we try to get involved around campus as well.

So how can you get involved in a Ram Slam?

Ram Slams are simple: write a poem, sign up, perform it, and follow the rules.

No, not those rules.

These rules:

1. Each poem must be of the poet’s own construction

2. Each poet gets three minutes plus a 10 second grace period

3. If a poet goes over time, points will be deducted

4. May not use props, costumes, or musical instruments (props are any item not available to the other poets)

5. Scores will be based on a scale of 0-10

6. Of the score received from the five judges, the highest and the lowest scores are dropped and the middle three are added, giving the poet a score up to 30 points.

7. Time starts as soon as the poet looks up/addresses the audience

8. No homophobia, no racial slurs, no transphobia. Basically, be respectful with your words.

The judges were selected from the audience and were people that did not know the participants at all. Judges were instructed to not be swayed from their decisions, while the audience were encouraged to try to sway their decisions. The night was filled with amazing poets who discussed (trigger warning): immigration, language barriers, assimilation, slavery, roots, death, loss, autism, mental illnesses, bullying, family, suicide. police brutality and… kiwis.

There were two rounds, each poet getting appropriate amounts of “mmm,” “yasss,” “ooh” and multiple supportive snaps. The poet who won the event has a spot on the team to compete in CUPSI in the spring of 2016.

The event was wonderfully hosted in the Shafer Street Playhouse Newdick Theatre, MC’d by Marvin Hodges and appropriately timed bongo drum rolls were provided by Rob Gibsun.

Left; Rob Gibsun, Right; Marvin Hodges

VCU is filled with talented, young poets and it would be a shame not to see any of them on stage! If you have the time, I strongly suggest coming out to an Open Mic or to another Ram Slam. It’s not necessary to perform, however everyone that is performing needs support from their fellow Rams! Bring a friend, listen to the talent that is at VCU, and a great time will be guaranteed. Best part: it’s free.

Who’s going now?

For more updates be sure to follow them on Twitter and Instagram  @GoodClearSound

Jessica is a Theatre Major with a concentration in Costume Design. Although design is her passion, she loves writing and is so glad to be a part of Her Campus VCU. She hopes you enjoy her writing as much as she enjoys writing it.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!