Four Underrated Movies Made Before 1965 You Need to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

With inventions like Netflix and new films being released almost daily, it is often difficult to choose what to watch. If you ever find yourself in that situation, why not take a break from the modernism and CGI and curl up in front of one of these underrated classics:

Father Goose (1964)

Starring Cary Grant and Leslie Caron, director Ralph Nelson’s film “Father Goose” is sure to delight. During the Pacific Campaign in World War Two, a boozed-out American beachcomber, played by Grant, is coerced into coast watching for the allies. Although he is by no means prepared to be suddenly stranded on a deserted island and employed by the British Navy, he is certainly not prepared to be unexpectedly stuck with a schoolteacher and ten of her students; all female. Grant’s suave demeanor is perfect for the hilariously subtle, yet incredibly sassy, comedy that is generously sprinkled throughout the film. You are sure to enjoy this gem!

How the West Was Won (1962)

If you are looking for one film that features an amazing number of talents from the Golden Era of Hollywood, this is it. Debbie Reynolds, Gregory Peck, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and more portray the triumphs and struggles of the historical figures and everyday people responsible for westward expansion. Primarily, it focuses on a family, the Prescott’s, through four generations. As technology advances, the Civil War rages and other events occur, the audience gets a glimpse into the history of the United States of America. It is artistically informative, sweet, sad, funny and a true delight to watch.

Swiss Family Robinson (1960)

Walt Disney’s live-action classic tells the story of a shipwrecked family who find a new life for themselves on an uninhabited island. Cinematically, the film is breathtaking. The tropical setting creates stunning backdrops and natural set elements that, in addition to the acting by stars John Mills, Dorothy McGuire, Disney child star Tommy Kirk and others, makes the movie a true masterpiece. Pirate attacks, a race (featuring someone riding an ostrich) and a slew of adorable animals keeps the film interesting, fun and lighthearted. In addition to wanting to swing on ropes and frolic through the tropical foliage after watching Swiss Family Robinson, the audience will smile from ear to ear.

The Great Escape (1963)

Based on a true story, The Great Escape follows a group of allied POWs as they attempt to escape from a German camp during World War Two. It is yet another film that features many of Hollywood’s greats like Steve McQueen (who is just as cool in the film as he was in real life), James Garner and Richard Attenborough, among others. The Great Escape is not a typical war film, either. Rather, it is a powerful, yet appropriately funny and perfectly sensitive retelling of what actual World War Two soldiers endured.

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!