Essential Eye-Makeup Tips for Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When you’re getting ready for class and applying your makeup, make sure to follow a few of my helpful tips to make your eyes look as bright and beautiful as possible!

• Brighten Up!
    Lack of sleep is inevitable in college. Tired eyes plague us every day. The key is to highlight. Find a soft, shimmery shade of eye shadow that suits your skin tone and eye color. Neutrals like browns, greys, pale pinks, and bronze are always flattering and not too bold. Brush the color generously over your eyelids but not extending above the crease. Color around your eyes adds dimension and the glimmer will brighten your eyes. Brushing a very light amount of a nude, white, or pale silver eye shadow on the inside corner of the eye also helps brighten your eyes and gives a more awake look.
  • Eyeliner Tips
    Starting from the inside of your eye, draw a line that gets bolder as you reach the outside corner of your eye. This creates the illusion that your eyes are wider, more open.
  • Mascara Tips
    Comb mascara onto the top and bottom eyelashes. This elongates them and curls them outward, in turn uncovering more of your eye.
  • Make sure you don’t use crazy bold colors to class. Yes it might show off your fun side or match your shirt perfectly, but wearing vibrant and bold make-up isn’t the most appropriate look for class. Save it for the weekend.
Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.