Dr. Carmen Rodriguez, Science Professor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The vast number of students at VCU who are involved in science and pre-health programs (such as pre-pharmacy, pre-dental, or pre-nursing) know how difficult some of the required courses can be — anatomy being one of them. When they hear the rumors about the dreaded hours studying in open lab or how intensive the course will be, many students doubt they will survive the workload. Two years ago, I was enrolled in anatomy under the supervision of Dr. Carmen Rodriguez and found myself fearing the worst. But after taking anatomy in the summer, Dr. Rodriguez whipped me into reality. My fearful thoughts of falling behind and failing were quickly pushed away by the high expectations placed in the classroom by Dr. Rodriguez. She left no time for whining and uncertainty, just hard work and success. Through her support and disciplined teaching style, I was able to overcome the intimidating course and pass with an A. Dr. Rodriguez is more than an inspirational science professor, she is a loving mother and compassionate woman. 

1. What is your full name and title at VCU?Carmen M. Rodriguez, Assistant Professor of Instruction 
  2. What courses do you teach and what inspired you to choose your specific field?I currently teach Basic Human Anatomy (BIOL 205) and Animal Reproduction (BIOL 314). I have also taught the Biological Concepts course (BIOL101), an introductory biology course for non-majors. 
  3. Did you always know you would be a biology professor? Or did you have other plans during your undergrad?As an undergraduate student, I was an Animal Science major who wanted to go to Veterinary School. However, during my junior year, I began working in a genetics laboratory and found that I really enjoyed doing research. After graduation, I worked as a Research Technician for two years and then decided to go to graduate school. In 2003, while working as a Research Associate at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, I had the opportunity to teach as an adjunct instructor at a local community college. I realized that I enjoyed teaching and interacting with students. I began teaching at VCU in 2007. 
  4. Many students who have had you as a professor know how you teach and conduct yourself inside the classroom but how would you say you teach? Why do it that way?I have high expectations of my students. I expect my students to come to class on time and come prepared to discuss the material. I believe that all of my students are capable of doing well in my classes. Hence, I try to motivate my students to work hard and try to meet their full potential. 
  5. Do you learn anything from your students?All the time!  This is one of the great aspects of teaching. Instructors have the opportunity to learn many things from their students. 
  6. What is your most memorable experience as a professor?During a summer session, I had a student who asked me on the last day of class if it would be OK if she did an impersonation of me.  I actually allowed her to do her ‘skit’ and she was hilarious! It was a lot of fun! 
  7. Where is home for you?I live in the West End and call Virginia my home. However, I grew up in Puerto Rico and have lived in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. 
  8. When you arent a professor to hundreds of students, youre a mother to two young girls. What do you hope for them in their futures?I want my daughters to be happy. I want them to grow up to be confident young women who are successful in whatever career they chose.  My oldest daughter wants to be an artist when she grows up. My youngest daughter says she wants to be an engineer, a dancer and an artist. My husband and I tell the girls that they can be anything they want. However, we tell them that they will have to work hard and stress the importance of getting a good education.  
  9. Besides biology, do you have another forte or hobby?My current hobby is working on my genealogy. 
  10. Who would you consider inspirations in your life?My parents have always been a big inspiration. They always stressed the importance of working hard and taking pride in your work. 
  11. What do you see is the biggest difference at VCU from when you started and now?VCU has grown significantly since I’ve been here. We have a lot more students and a many new buildings on campus. 
  12. What would you say to students who are interested in life sciences and biology?I would suggest that they try to get research experience early in their academic career. Don’t wait until you are a junior or senior to begin looking for research opportunities.

Mymy Dinh is a graduate of Virginia Commonwealth University, pursuing a career in pharmacy. Born on January 20, 1992, she is the second oldest out of 5 children. She is also majoring in science with a double minor in chemistry and biology. She enjoys volunteer work, being around her family, organizing desks and rooms, shopping, meeting new people, and traveling.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!