This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Rejected,

First I want you to know that we all fear rejection, both girls and guys. Secondly, it is important to know that you are worth it, worth giving and receiving love. We get so worked up over hearing the heartbreaking words “no,” that we deny ourselves the very thing that gives us life. I understand that being rejected dampens your self esteem and reoccurring rejection can damage your self worth. You start to think that you aren’t enough, mentally beating yourself to pieces by saying things like: “I’m not cute enough,” “skinny enough,” or “smart enough,” but have you ever stopped to think that maybe the other person “isn’t enough?” We all know the feeling of realizing we might just be single for the rest of our lives, but that’s an extreme conclusion. So stop trying to find something in someone who doesn’t have what you need, they may not be compassionate enough, or silly enough and might not stimulate you mentally.

Someone else will learn to love you just as much, if not more than you love yourself.  They will appreciate the little things about you that make you different from everyone else, from the way you laugh to the way you walk. It is important to realize that before we can learn to love someone else we must first love ourselves. Self love is what keeps us going, it causes us to think things like “man I’m hot S#$%” or “anyones lucky enough to have me.” You should never look for someone to complete you, because a relationship consists of two whole individuals so look for someone complementary instead of supplementary. Rejection does not mean you are somehow defective, but that particular person understood that he/she would not be able to love you in the way that you both deserve and need to be loved.

So, Rejected, I hope you understand now that I no longer think about what I did wrong or how I need to fix myself but instead just how happy I will make someone one day.

Sincerely,

The Rejected

Saiounia is a 20 year old Broadcast Journalism major studying at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her name is pronounced (Say-oh-knee-uhh). She is originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Saiounia is a food junkie and loves adventure. In her spare time she can be found at local food festivals and family owned coffee shops.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!