This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Danielle Williams

Age: 21

Year: Senior, Class of 2015

Major: Theatre Performance, BFA

From: Waynesboro, VA

What was your very first role?

My first role was Rudolph in my preschool production of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Who (or what) inspired you to pursue theater?

When I was growing up, what I wanted to do with my life was dependent on what my favorite show was at the time. I used to be obsessed with this medical show called Strong Medicine, which made me want to be a doctor. Then my love of Legally Blonde led to a lawyer dream. Fixations with shows like House and Law and Order: Special Victims Unit also changed the direction of my “future plans.” Then when I was in high school and was in my first theatre class, I realized that I didn’t actually want to be a doctor or a lawyer or a detective. I wanted to play one on television. It also didn’t hurt that my uncle was an actor or that Johnny Depp and Reese Witherspoon are just amazing.

“My latest trip to New York City! I ended up not seeing Aladdin, but we took a picture in front of the Aladdin wall. It was one of  the few pictures in which I’m not crying or looking insane with a crazy person” (Also pictured: Kaelie Ukrop and Becca Brinkley)  

What is your biggest accomplishment?

My parents, while supportive, definitely thought that being an actor was a phase. So, when it became time to really start thinking about what I wanted to pursue in life and what I wanted to study in college – they thought that my “hobby” of performing would end. To convince them that continuing my study and following my dreams was worth it, I made a bet with them. I was auditioning for Virginia’s Summer Residential Governor’s School for the Arts. They saw people from all over the state and chose the best to attend a competitive summer intensive. I told my parents that if I was accepted, then they had to let me continue studying theatre. They agreed. When I got my acceptance letter, I also learned that I was the first person in my district to ever receive a perfect score on the audition. My parents were convinced. So for me, my biggest accomplishment has been earning the right to and then following my dreams.

“A cast photo from Independence by Lee Blessing, directed by Jorge Burmudez. My favorite show at VCU to date; it was preformed last semester in Newdick Theatre.” (Also pictured: Kaelie Ukrop, Lauren Davis, Maggie Monk and Emily Adler)

What are some of the triumphs/challenges of a theater major?

That is a tough question. I think they kind of go hand in hand. Some of the challenges include that we have to sacrifice a lot of our time in order to be a theatre major. On top of taking full class loads, we also put in between 30 to 40 hours a week in rehearsals and that doesn’t even cover it for those of us who also work. I log almost 30 hours a week as a security guard for VCU Police in the Rhoads and Brandt residence halls. A triumph of this though, is that we’re all very disciplined because we have to budget our time. Another thing that could be considered a challenge would be that we don’t really see many people outside of the department. It’s easier, usually, for us to bond with other people in the department because they understand our schedules and the unique challenges of being a performance major. That corresponding triumph is probably the sweetest one of all. I have met some of the most talented, dedicated, wonderful people I’ve ever had the pleasure to know from being in this department. Like any major, there are struggles that you face – but being in a close-knit department like this one is also so very rewarding!

“The actual stars of my life.” (Also Pictured: JT Ludwig, Gilbert Williams)

If you could have any role in any production, (behind the scenes or front and center) what would it be and why?

Every actor has dream roles, you know? I have an interest in TV as well as stage theatre, but I’ll just list my top three dream roles for stage: Helen in Neil Lebute’s Fat Pig, Maureen in Johnathan Larson’s musical RENT and Nadia in Jon Hartmere, Jr and Damon Intrabartolo’s bare: a pop opera.

Do you have any upcoming projects?

I will next be seen as the Governor/Innkeeper in TheatreVCU’s production of the Tony award winning musical, Man of La Mancha.

Winner of five Tony Awards, The Man of La Mancha is based on Miguel de Cervantes’ 17th century epic masterpiece of Don Quixote who sees good and innocence in a world filled with darkness and despair. Featuring such memorable songs as “The Impossible Dream”, “Dulcinea” and “I, Don Quixote” this extraordinary musical adventure is the comic/tragic tale of the triumph of a man over his own follies.

The show dates are: November 7-8, 13-15 & 20-22 at 7:30 p.m. • November 9, 16 & 23 at 3 p.m. Singleton Center for the Performing Arts • 922 Park Ave. Richmond, VA 23220

“A photo from the marketing photoshoot for Storybook Saturdays, a summer children’s theatre series with Stage B Theatre Company And Full Circle Theatre Project”

What do you hope to achieve in the acting world?

When I was growing up, there weren’t many women who looked like me on television. I want to be successful in theatre not only because it makes me happy, but because I hope that one day I can inspire men and women of any size to follow their dreams. I’ve heard that my weight would hinder me in the entertainment industry so many times that I couldn’t even begin to count. But this is what I love to do, I work very hard, and I’m already proving to myself and others that it can be done. There is nothing you can’t do if you work hard enough. In addition to following my dreams of being a successful actor, I want to inspire people to follow their dreams as well!

Samuel Elder was born and Raised in Staunton, Va. He is currently attending VCU and pursuing a bachelor's in business.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!