andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Cheap Restaurants for Valentine’s Day Dinner in Richmond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Ah, Valentine’s Day. Some people love it, some people hate it (myself included due to a recent rough break up), but you can’t deny that it’s an important holiday. Shouldn’t we have one small little day to celebrate the thing that makes us crazy, weak in the knees and broken? I think so, even though the previous sentence sounds a bit cold and negative. I really do love love – without it, I really don’t know where I would be. Now, as important as this holiday is because of what it celebrates, it does carry with it a weird stigma of an expected expensive night out. An expensive night out is nice and all, but do any of us have significant others who make more than $7.25? Or do we have jobs that make more than $7.25? Probably not. Most of us youth can barely afford a thing besides dollar store toothpaste, so let’s be realistic for the masses. Here is a list of excellent spots for you and your lover to chow down on a budget this V-Day. 

1. My Noodle and Bar

I choose My Noodle and Bar because of a personal memory that just oozes of love. I can’t remember if the seat in the front is named ‘the love nest’ by the restaurant or if I made that name up a couple summers ago, but that’s how I always refer to it. It’s a seat right as you walk in that’s essentially a little nook lined with red heart lights – so romantic and sweet. The food is great and most entrees don’t run more than $12.

2. The Village Cafe

I also choose ‘The Village’ for sentimental reasons. Their food is mediocre, but you just can’t beat being in a dark booth under the neon lights with your lover drinking a chocolate chai milkshake, as I did many moons ago. It was in one of the booths that I also gifted my lover a Valentine’s Day coffee mug I bought from the clearance section of Urban Outfitters. AND all of the food is cheap. Almost too cheap.

3. Ipanema Cafe

Darkness to me implies a sort of crazy, beautiful love – and Ipanema sure is dark. There’s just something about sliding into one of this vegetarian cafe’s booths, drinking tea and listening to their wonderfully crafted Indie music playlists that will make you fall further and further in love.

4. Pop’s Market on Grace

Pop’s market in the evening is a feast for the eyes due to its large amounts of Christmas lights hanging on every wall. The food is amazing, and you don’t have to tip because you order at a counter. So, maybe you’ll have some money left over to share a dessert.

5. Best Friends Forever

The name is adorable enough for a visit with your lover, and that’s exactly what they should be – your best friend. Best Friends Forever serves affordable and creative burritos in a space with a camping theme, and the room actually smells like a campfire. The wallpaper is inspired by Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom and the walls that aren’t covered in wallpaper are accessorized with pictures of best friends from the 1950’s and scenes from vintage camping trips.

And for all of you who are flying solo this Valentine’s Day, here’s a piece of strange advice. I just got finished hanging up some “romantic artwork” on my dorm room wall because a psychic told me it would bring me a lover. Best of luck to all of you beautiful searchers out there… maybe one day we will all have someone special by our sides once again.

Image credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Madeline Wheeler is a journalist major with a focus in print and online journalism at VCU. In her free time, she enjoys drinking floral teas, going to underground concerts in smoky basements, and hunting for keys to the past in antique stores.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!