Anthony Weiner Caught Sexting. Again.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Sext-ing is not a new thing, it’s been around for quite a while and pretty much everyone is doing it, at least from time to time. Former Congressmen Anthony Weiner is no exception.

Weiner has made quite a name for himself by participating in this infamous activity.  He’s taken several provocative photos of himself on his cell phone over the years and sent them to various women only to be “outed” publically by the media. Now, It’s a particularly touchy subject for one political campaign this election year because Weiner’s wife is none other than Huma Abedin. Abedin is Hillary Clinton’s top aide and she’s been with Clinton ever since she was an intern. 

This isn’t the first time Weiner has stepped outside of is marriage seeking attention from other women and been caught. Back in 2011 Weiner resigned from Congress after his online relationships with several women went public. But Weiner wasn’t done yet, another online relationship of his surfaced in 2013 as well.  Even after both of these embarrassing relationships appeared in headlines Abedin stayed with her husband despite pressure from everyone, including her boss, to distance herself from him.  

His latest photo-op appeared in New York Post, the image displays Weiner clearly laying in a provocative position in bed in boxer-briefs with his young son next to him. This now public image didn’t sit well with just about everyone with a social media account, cell phone or moral compass for that matter. It is only now after his most recent scandal that Abedin has publicly stated she will now be separating from her husband.

“After long and painful consideration and work on my marriage, I have made the decision to separate from my husband,” Abedin said in a statement sent to reporters

Some have tried to make the case that Abedin is only now divorcing her husband because of pressure from her boss.  The pressure stems from the fear of this scandal taking away from Clinton’s presidential campaign, further giving her opponent a reason to say that she has “poor judgment” when it comes to putting people in positions of power. While viewers have attacked Weiner, but some have even gone as far as insulting and blaming Abedin.

I genuinely think Abedin cracked under pressure. You can’t help who you love and let’s be honest she stuck around through the first two rounds of him cheating, why leave now? Part of me believes she’s only divorcing him because she thinks that this is what the public is expecting of her. I want Abedin to know that not everyone was expecting her to do something like this, allowing this reoccurring infraction in their marriage to end their relationship so quickly and publically. My biggest concern with this whole ordeal is that Abedin allowed the last leg of Clinton’s campaign to affect her personal life. I don’t think this was solely her decision, and that just doesn’t seem right.   

Image 1, 2, 3

Saiounia is a 20 year old Broadcast Journalism major studying at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her name is pronounced (Say-oh-knee-uhh). She is originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Saiounia is a food junkie and loves adventure. In her spare time she can be found at local food festivals and family owned coffee shops.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!