yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

9 Things We’re Looking Forward To This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

After a few months without school, you might not want your summer vacay to end. But with the fall semester just around the corner there are so many things to look forward to! Here are 9 things you should get excited about.

1. Welcome Week: (August 16 through August 24) This week of activities isn’t just for freshmen! With multiple events like movies, games, facility tours, food, information sessions and prize giveaways, this is a great way to meet new people and have some fun before classes start! Check out the schedule of events here: http://www.welcomeweek.vcu.edu/schedule/aug16.html

2. SOVO Fair: If you’re interested in expanding your horizons this year, the SOVO Fair is a good place to start. With over 500 organizations, you’re bound to find something that interests you, from flash mobs, fraternities and sororities and community service organizations, there’s something for everyone. Be sure to check out the SOVO Fair and visit the Her Campus VCU table on August 22nd!

3. VCU Broad Street Mile: This event on September 20th takes over Broad Street, with a series of fun runs and a 5K to help fundraise for local charities. There will also be live music, food and performances throughout the day. If you’re interested in registering for any of the runs or want more information you can do that here: http://www.vcubroadstreetmile.com

4. Fall Block: Fall Block is one of VCU’s oldest traditions. It is a massive step show featuring many of the fraternities and sororities of the NPHC (National Pan-Hellenic Council) and they compete for prize money and bragging rights for the whole year! This year’s show will happen on September 27th, and will definitely be exciting!

5. The Richmond Folk Festival: From October 10 though October 12, you can celebrate different cultures and heritages through music, dance, crafts and food! This event is FREE to the public and is sure to be enjoyable for all. Find out more information here: http://richmondfolkfestival.org/docs/event.html

6. Fall Fashion: One of the best things about fall is getting to dress up in comfy sweaters, cute boots and warm scarves. It’s always fun to see what the fashion trends will be on campus this year!

7. All Things Pumpkin Flavored: You know we always look forward to the day that seasonal flavors come back around. Fall’s flavor is pumpkin, and once Starbucks brings back it’s Pumpkin Spice Latte, you will see pumpkin flavored things EVERYWHERE. I can’t wait.

8. The Book of Mormon: This hilarious Tony Award-winning musical is coming to Richmond this November and it’s something you don’t want to miss. The tickets may be a little pricey but if you’re a fan of musicals or you like South Park, you’ll love this.

9. VCU’s Men’s Basketball Season:  Havoc begins again this November and we’re all anxious to see how this season will turn out. The basketballs games are always fun to go to with friends and is an excuse to get hype the the Peppas and the Rowdy Rams. Who doesn’t love school spirit?

Portia, is a 22 year old Senior majoring in Cinema and double minoring in General Business and Media Studies at VCU. She transferred from The University of Hawaii at Leeward Community College, after graduating in 2012 with an Associate in Science in Television Production. Portia has a passion for all things art related, asian cuisine, traveling, and Bollywood movies.  In the future, she aspires to one day return to Hawaii and direct and create movies of all different genres and continue her passion for the arts.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!