9 Things That Happen When You Date a Musician

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

No matter if they’re a music major or if they simply stick to garage bands, dating a musician is a weird and wonderful experience. The music industry itself seems to be full of uncertainties, but if there is one thing that is guaranteed, it’s that you’ll have a great time!

1. You realize how little you actually know about music.

Impressively knowing all of the lyrics to practically every 80s song no longer cuts it as being musically inclined. Now, it’s all about which notes are in certain chords, phrasing tones, anticipating changes, forming harmonies — the list goes on. What does it all mean? You have no idea, but your SO likes it so you just nod and pretend like you have the slightest inkling of what’s going on.

2. A good chunk of your free time is taken up by going to gigs.

And it’s actually wonderful! There’s nothing better than watching your SO prepare day in and day out for a certain gig and then watch them absolutely crush it on stage. If nothing else, the drive to gigs is fun in itself — you get to have quality time with your musician and help hype them up for their performance!

3. You lowkey become a roadie.

Your car becomes their own personal U-Haul, and the fact that you have two arms becomes their excuse to hand you heavy equipment. Especially if you date a musician with a lot of big, bulky luggage (like a drummer or bassist), the phrase “Hey, can you grab that for me?” is all too common.

4. Sometimes, gigs take precedence over dates.

And that’s okay. If your SO is working to have a steady career in music, it’s only right that you understand when work (they have to feed themselves, after all) might get in the way. Just make your next bit of alone time extra special to make up for it!

5. You are never lost for new music suggestions.

One of the best things about dating a musician is that new music, often spanning many genres, is always readily available. In fact, not only is is new music right at your fingertips, but your SO will more than likely really enjoy sharing it with you, as that means you have one more thing in common!

6. A random assortment of musical items are scattered around everywhere.

Tuning fork in the seat cushions of your couch, sheet music left in your car, cords tossed in the middle of the floor. Although it can be annoying, it’s more amusing than anything, as dating a musician is like a never-ending hunt for musical treasure.

7. You become inspired to learn an instrument.

Your SO makes it look insanely cool and easy! So, why shouldn’t you partake in the world of music-making? It is 100 percent guaranteed that dating a musician will prompt you to fantasize about forming a band together and becoming the next Sonny and Cher or Ike and Tina. It happens.

8. You act as their musical guinea pig.

“Hey, how does this sound?”

“I don’t really like the key change in that spot.”

“Ah. Okay. Yeah, you’re right.”

As the ever loyal significant other, you often act as the wall of which your musician can bounce ideas off of. Although you might not have experience in the musical field at, it’s nice to feel like your opinion matters.

9. You’re their number one fan!

Of course, it goes without saying! You are your SO’s biggest supporter and groupie, and you love them endlessly for their dedication to their art.

Gifs: 1, 2, 3, 4

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!