9 Things to Do in Richmond this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

1. Visit the Science Museum of Virginia

During this annual holiday event the museum will perform unconventional experiments on almost everyone’s least favorite holiday treat, the fruitcake. Watch the museum educators burn, drop and freeze fruitcakes in the name of science. Guests can celebrate the holiday season by creating squishy circuits, building a zip line car to transport fruitcake and shooting targets with Moov Kits. This special event will take place Monday, Dec. 26 through Friday, Dec. 30.

2. Watch a free Richmond Pops Band show

“Christmas with the Richmond Pops” is coming to the Altria theatre for free. It’s one of Richmond’s annual traditions. Check out their website for information on how to get free tickets. 

3. If you’re into art, visit the Brazier Gallery and check out the Holiday Small Works Show

This gallery features small, affordable piecings for you or a friend this Christmas. Featured paintings will be size 12″ x 16″ and below. The gallery is at 1616 W Main St Richmond, VA. 

4. Go on the RVA Tacky Lights Tour

“Come celebrate the holiday season with friends new and old as we gather together for one of Richmond’s most popular pastimes…TACKY LIGHTS! Our friends at Winn Transportation will pick us up at one of CLUBWAKA Richmond’s favorite sponsor bars, Gus’s Bar and Grill (2701 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23220), and take us on a tour of some of Richmond’s most famous tacky lights!” Visit their website to register for a ticket!  It’s on Friday, Dec. 9.

5. Watch the Dominion Christmas Parade

The 33rd annual Dominion Christmas Parade is on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016 at 10 a.m. in Richmond, Virginia. This year’s theme is “Christmas at the Movies.” The parade will begin at the Science Museum on W. Broad Street and continue east to 7th Street. 

6. Watch the James River Parade of Lights

Each year, boaters decorate their vessels and set sail on the James River for a boat parade marking the festive holiday season. Viewing sites are available in the city of Richmond, Henrico and Chesterfield counties from 6-9 p.m. It’s a free event. Check out their website for more information. 

7. Go to brunch with your pals at the Quirk Hotel

They’re hosting a Boozy Santa Brunch on Saturday Dec. 10 that sold out. But don’t fret, reserve a spot for Sunday’s Santa Won’t Go Home Brunch by calling them at (804) 340-6040.

8. Watch Elf the Musical at the Altria Theatre

Watch Buddy the elf and friends in this classic Christmas tale. It will be running Dec. 9-11. Get ticket information and showtimes on their website.

9. Visit Shortpump Towne Center

Check out the outdoor mall in it’s Christmastime prime. It always looks so beautiful here this time of the year. Santa will be there from Nov. 12 until Dec. 24. Be sure to check out their website for special holiday extended hours for last minute shopping. 

Image Credit: Cover Photo, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!