toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Ways to Get Into the Halloween Spirit in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, and it’s never too early to be prepared to be scared and have fun. Halloween is a time to dress up in crazy costumes, party and eat a lot of candy; but being engulfed by a busy college student schedule makes it hard to get into the holiday. Fear not, there are plenty of ways to get into the Halloween spirit while in college:

1. Watch scary/horror movies

If you really want to get in the Halloween mood, scavenge the horror film section of Netflix. Grab some snacks, blankets, huddle up with your friends and prepare to be scared.

2. Go to a haunted house

There’s no better way to get into the spooky holiday then getting seriously scared by people in horrifyingly real costumes and makeup. Car pool with your friends and hold hands as you creep around each corner of the haunted house. Get ready to scream and squeeze your friends from the scary fun.

3. Buy or DIY your costume

Deciding on what costume to get or make for Halloween is probably the best part. Will you go with something classic? Something risky you’ve always wanted to be? Or something that was popular this year? Are you doing a group or couples costume? The options are endless. Buy a cute but cheap costume or be brave and do it yourself. 

4. Find or throw a party

Ask around and see if any of your friends are throwing a party or if there are any parties happening at places around campus. If you’re up for buying a ton of food and hosting, throw a Halloween party with your roommates that people will never forget. Dress up in your costume and hit the town with your faves.

5. Have a costume contest with your friends

Having motivation to go all out with your costume always helps. Come up with a best costume contest and amazing prize with your friends for some friendly competition. Have everyone vote for the favorite (not voting for themselves) and see who wins.

6. Make creepy and yummy Halloween treats

Baking treats are always fun and it’s even better when they are on theme. Cupcakes, cake, cookies and brownies with a touch of Halloween spirit. Here are a few recipes: Spooky fingers, Chocolate eyeballs and Rice Krispy treat brains.

7. Buy decorations for your dorm or apartment

You won’t be in the Halloween spirit, and may even forget about the holiday if you don’t have some sort of decorations. Your decorations don’t have to be spooky, buy some pumpkins and small accents to make your dorm or apartment feel festive.

8. Go to the pumpkin patch and carve pumpkins with your friends

Handpicking your pumpkin with your friends is something anyone would enjoy. Take a hayride from your car to the pumpkin patch and pick any pumpkin your heart desires. Later on, set up a bunch of old newspapers and carving tools and carve your pumpkins side by side.

It’s easy to forget about Halloween and forget to have fun when you spend half of your time at your college library. You should take some time and join in the spooky holiday. Celebrate with your friends and make memories you won’t forget. Happy Halloween season collegiettes!

Ashley is a Senior at Virginia Commmonwealth University majoring in mass communications concentrating in print & online journalism. She is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at VCU and a member of the Society of Professional Journalists at VCU. She is an avid coffee drinker, dog lover and dreamer. She hopes to one day be a reporter for a newspaper, magazine, or an online version of the two.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!