7 Reasons Why You Should Join Her Campus VCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Her Campus VCU (HCVCU) is currently looking for Editorial and PR/Events team members to join the growing organization. If you’re wondering why you should apply, then listen up! This is an organization that can benefit you both academically and socially. Here are some more in-depth reasons on why you should join HCVCU:

1. It’s a Great Resume-Builder.

Just by listing your position in HCVCU, hiring recruiters will see that you chose to join an organization that challenges you academically and professionally, rather than an organization you join for pure entertainment. They like to see that you made your time worthwhile and useful for you in the long run. Side note: if you write an article for HCVCU, you can save it and add it to a writing portfolio – employers love to see that!

2. You Will Gain A Lot of Experience.

Some of the skills, to name a few, practiced in this organization include writing, communications, public relations, advertising, time management, budgeting, and event planning. All of these skills are essential for post-graduation, ultimately preparing you for the “real world.”

3. You Will Meet and Work With Great People.

One of the best things about this organization is the members. You will find members of all different years, majors and demographics working to keep the magazine alive. Although the members are split into two teams, both Editorial and PR/Events team members still get to mingle through General Body Meetings, mixers and events. We also have un-official mixers and parties for special occasions!

4. You Get Free Stuff.

The Her Campus national team, otherwise known as headquarters, work hard to keep our sponsors happy and generous! Some of these sponsors are brands you know and love, such as Chipotle and Luna. During major events during the semester like finals week, midterms and spring break, headquarters sends each chapter a big box of goodies. What does this mean for you? Buy one get one free chipotle cards, Her Campus swag, books and more!

5. It’s an Outlet to Show Your Creative Side.

Whether you like fashion blogging, photography or designing flyers, HCVCU gives you the opportunity to explore your creative side. For example, if you think you can write a weekly blog about different makeup trends, the space is all yours! We love to see creativity in our members and encourage it constantly.

6. You Will Get to Know Your Campus.

If you’re looking for a way to get more involved on campus, HCVCU will be just the thing to get you out there. At times, we will want to cover events that happen in and around campus, giving you the perfect chance to get involved. We also have a Campus Cuties and Campus Celebrities section, where you get the opportunity to interview VCU students based on their talents, originality, personality, etc. 

7. You Will Network. 

If you’re a junior or senior, you’ve probably heard the word “networking” more times than you’d like to. But if you’re a freshman or sophomore, you might not know how important it is just yet. Well you guessed it – networking is essential to any college student. Her Campus is a huge organization with chapters all over the nation, meaning you have many opportunities to meet and mingle with many other young professionals. Bonus: Her Campus holds an annual national conference in New York, where you can network with real professionals, editors and members from all over the nation. It’s a great way to get your foot in the door!

Hello! My name is Noura Bayoumi and I am a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. I am studying print journalism with a minor in English. In my free time, I like to explore the city, spend time with my friends and family, and go outdoors.