6 Steps You May Be Missing in Your Makeup Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Makeup is an art form. It is an awesome form of self-expression and source of confidence for a lot of people. You do your makeup however you want and if it brings you joy then you are doing it right! However, as with all art forms, there are some basic steps everyone should do take to have the best and most successful experience. Just like mixing paints properly or priming a canvas, these basic steps in makeup are must-haves for any makeup routine. Whether you have been doing makeup for nine years or just started yesterday, these steps will help you be a pro at makeup and can’t be missed.

1) Skincare

Your makeup will not lay smoothly or stay if your skin is not healthy. Also, skincare takes care of “issues” like redness and roughness and dry or greasy skin, so that half of the job is already done before you even apply your makeup.

2) Moisturizer

Yes, this is obviously part of skin care, but it is so important that it deserves its own point. Proper moisturization is important to prevent dryness and redness as well as acne. It is essential to use a facial moisturizer and to find one that works specifically in favor of your skin. Everyone’s skin is different.

3) Primer

Primer is your friend. It gives added moisture and smooths your skin so that foundation and concealer lay perfectly and evenly. There are different primers for different things so if you want to focus on specifics like eliminating redness or brightening skin, it is easy to find a primer for your needs.

4) Wet beauty blender

Another commonly missed step is wetting your beauty blender. This aids in applying foundation evenly and smoothly. Using facial oils to wet the beauty blender is also something many makeup lovers have started doing, but that is really just based on your preferences.

5) Bake

One struggle with makeup is getting it to stay on your face all day. Baking will make sure your t-zone does not budge at all. Many people skip baking because it takes up a few minutes (average “bake time” is 10 minutes). However, you can multitask while you bake! Eat breakfast, do your eyeshadow or eyebrows, get dressed or anything else while you bake and your time will not be wasted. This is a helpful tutorial on how to bake if you’re new to the game. 

6) Setting spray

Again, having your makeup stay on from your morning psychology class to your midnight library homework session is a STRUGGLE. Setting spray is another life saver in aiding you keeping your makeup in place.

Of course, makeup is a choice and you should only do what makes you happy! But these steps can make life way easier and are important for most makeup routines. 

image credit: 1 2

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!