Style > Beauty

6 Products That Will Keep Your Makeup From Looking Crunchy this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

To me, winter is both a blessing and a curse (but mostly a curse). Sure there’s Christmas, snow and hot chocolate, but there’s one thing I just can’t bring myself to ignore – the cold. Unfortunately, as someone that does not live in Hawaii or California where it 65 is considered cold, my skin goes through a lot during the cold weather. Like a lot of people, I can’t use my summer products in the winter or I will look like a literal crusty cake face. It’s important to note that everyone’s skin is different, but if your situation is anything like mine, I’d give these products a try. You can thank me later. 

1. The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rosehip Seed Oil – $9.80

Before going into makeup, it’s important to take care of what’s beneath it. If your base is dry, it is inevitable that your makeup is going to look dry, too. I recently discovered this oil while on a skincare kick, and it has saved my life in more ways than one. Putting a few drops of this in or on top of your moisturizer and your skin will be lifechanging. Give it a couple weeks, and your skin will be more plump than ever. If you’ve ever had to deal with acne marks, this helps with that as well. 

2. First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisturizer – $28

Continuing on my skincare portion of this, I want to talk about this amazing product. Usually I shy away from putting things with the word “coconut” on my face *cue war flashbacks from that period where everyone encouraged putting coconut oil on their face*. PSA: please do not put coconut oil on your face. Anyway, this product is both a moisturizer and a primer, and it truly does a great job at both. Makeup applies beautifully on top of it, and even though it’s expensive, it’s basically a two-in-one.

3. Jouer Lip Enhancer – $16

One thing that is really overlooked when dealing with makeup is lip care. Everyone has fallen victim to weather-chapped crusty liquid lipstick lips. Sure, you can use vaseline for a quick burst of moisture, but I never found it to last on my lips when I stepped outside. This lip conditioner is my holy grail product. When I put this on at night, I can still feel it in the morning. If you want your lips to look good all day, definitely try this out. 

4. NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation -$50

This was a recent purchase for me, as I was looking for a foundation that wouldn’t cling to my dry spots while still not looking incredibly oily after a few hours. Let me just say – this is it. This foundation boasts an amazing shade range (which is really important to me) while seeming to look good on virtually every skin type. Along with that, this foundation basically lasts forever, so if you’re looking for a foundation that could probably work both the summer and the winter, give this a try!

5. Sephora Collection MicroSmooth Baked Foundation Face Powder – $22

Arguably the best pressed powder on the market, this powder sets your makeup without it looking powdery and gross. If you have dry skin, you need to get this ASAP because it basically saved my life this winter. I usually pair this with a little Makeup Revolution setting powder on places where my face tends to get more oily and MAC Fix+, and it’s like what powder? Where? #NoCakeFace2018

6. FENTY BEAUTY Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer – $18

Some people say gloss is just a summer thing, but I would just like to say that I highly disagree with that. Gloss will never go out of style, and it’ll keep your lips looking luscious and moisturized no matter what season it is. My favorite gloss of all time is the lip gloss released by Fenty Beauty by Rihanna. Not only does it have a super glossy mirror-like finish, but this gloss literally looks good on everyone no matter the skin tone, which is a very hard thing to pull off. Not to mention it literally smells like a fruity dessert.  

Next time you’re at the mall or window shopping on Sephora.com in class, treat yourself. Who knows, it may turn out to be your next holy grail product. 

Photo Credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Lauryn is a current freshman mass communications major at VCU. Some of her passions include writing, social issues, and missing her dog from back home. Some of her other interests include fashion and watching makeup videos on youtube. After college, she hopes to pursue a career in the journalism field.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!