6 Highly Effective Studying Tips for Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

1. Listen in class

I know, those lectures can quickly become boring as the professor goes on and on about a topic you may not be particularly interested in. However, you can actually use lectures as a study tool. If you read the chapters before they are covered in class, the lecture will serve as a review of material you already know. All the information taught will seem less foreign and you will likely pay more attention as you have a better understanding of what is going on.

2. Go to review sessions

Utilize supplemental instruction and TA sessions as review. Most of the time, these sessions are not intended to re-teach, but rather to help you review material you already know. These review sessions provide you with a more interactive mode of learning rather than going over PowerPoint slides or reading the textbook.

3. Study in groups

I used to loathe group studying. I thought it was impractical and a waste of time when I could be studying on my own. However, I came to find that group studying is actually very beneficial. Often times, information, ideas and tricks are exchanged that you might not have thought of had you been studying solo. Also, they say that the best way to tell if you have a good understanding of material is to teach it to someone else. In a group study setting, different people have different areas where they are strong and areas in which they need more clarification. This is a great way for you to teach others concepts you are confident in, and be taught concepts in which you may need further explanation.

4. Write it down

Typing up notes is a viable option if you do not have the time to actually handwrite them, but handwriting notes is the more effective approach. Taking notes and rewriting them later is a great way to keep the information stored in your memory. Believe it or not, the thought process involved in ordering and organizing notes actually helps you remember key facts, as well as form relationships between different topics.

5. Do practice problems

This is very important for math-based classes. These classes rely on conceptual understanding rather than rote memorization of facts. You might not memorize calculations and equations; however, you can practice doing problems many times and of many variations. Try to get a good grasp of the logic behind why you are solving a problem a certain way. This will put you in an analytical mindset. Then, on the exam, you will be comfortable with solving specific types of problems because you had ample practice working out similar ones.

6. Study in increments instead of cramming

Consistency is key. Regardless of the subject, this is the golden rule when it comes to studying. The best way to retain information is to go over it the same day it is taught. This will reinforce the material sooner, and cement core concepts early on. Studies have proven that spacing out your studying, or studying in “chunks,” is more beneficial for remembering information in the long run as opposed to cramming! It will all be worth it when you get that A!

Photo sources:

freeimages.com

quickmeme.com

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!