5 Tips on Mixing Finals and Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

College is made up of many things, a significant portion of which are friends and routine tests of your intelligence. Finals week is no different. Below I give you five tips to guide you in blending both work and play, as any college student is wont to do.

1. Set Boundaries

This is simple. By defining your limits of who you study with, and what, where, when and how you study, you’re already setting your group or partnership up for success.

Who: Before you do anything else you need to know who you’re studying with. While certain friends may be a blast in class, that same attitude isn’t always the best for serious studying. Figure out if your study group is going to be the same crowd that always sits together in lecture, or several of you who take the same class but at different times. Maybe find someone who’s taken the class before (and passed) and get them to drop by your get-together for some added help. Your goal is to find out (or arrange) who will be there and discuss whether they’ll help or hurt your performance on the test. If it’s the latter, don’t invite them. Remember, you can always hang after the exam is over.

What: Don’t try to study for two or more classes at once (duh). Determine what your toughest subject is and start with that, setting aside time for each subsequent subject.  If you and a friend don’t share the same academic weakness, split your study time evenly between the classes to assure that both (or more) parties are taken care of.

Where: No matter who you are, you know the library is going to be crazy – are you willing to face that? If not, see who’s got the best apartment set up that’s conducive to studying: the quietest roommates, the best natural lighting or just the nicest seating area (a.k.a. whatever will help you study best). As a general rule, you obviously want your group to settle somewhere with the least distractions, but most places will be crowded, so don’t forget to think outside the box. Finals week is a game, and every student is a player; sometimes you have to get creative to get your study on.

When: The night before (or even worse, the morning of) is obviously not the time to start studying. We are all insanely busy this time of year, but you’ve got to know yourself. Talk with your partner or group about everyone’s hardest and most important classes first, then plan the respective amounts of time you would like to spend on each in advance. Use that predetermined schedule to go forth and conquer. The early bird gets the worm.

How: You know the drill: are you a visual learner or what? Do you respond better to flash cards or verbal questioning from your roommate? Knowing how you learn or retain information best will help you study the fastest and keep the information in. This also makes things easier and more productive when a friend tries to test you. The quicker you learn the information, the more time you have to sleep. That’s all anyone wants anyway.

2. Be Honest

If you’ve waited until now to crack open your textbook, tell your friends so everyone can act accordingly. Pretending you know what’s going on won’t help anyone when you keep missing all the review questions. It’s only funny the first time. This also works the other way around; if you’re the only one who’s been going to class and doing the homework, let your group know you’re not there to reteach them, but you’ll help where you can. Study groups are supposed to be mutually beneficial, so if you’re getting taken advantage of, find a new one. Friends and grades aren’t always a good mix. Sometimes to keep them you have to step away from them. In addition, to have a successful study group, you have to speak up. If you need a break, say so. There’s a certain point where pushing on when you have nothing left (all nighters, anyone?) does more harm than good. Know when to admit defeat.

3. Stay Focused

If one or more people in your group are feeling down and out, definitely take a break and go get that Starbucks; but only allot so much time for that. Be aware beforehand that you will need snacks and sustenance, and plan accordingly. In addition, plan breaks. There are always those who want to forge ahead, but there is something to be said about five minute breaks. As always, put the phones away (away) before you begin. It is nearly a guarantee that neither anything your bae has to say nor anything on your timeline will make it onto the exam. If you absolutely have to discuss something other than the academic subject at large, give it three minutes only. Set a timer to keep yourselves on track. Keep distractions to a minimum; those A’s won’t put themselves on your transcripts.

4. Keep Each Other in Good Spirits

If your friend doesn’t understand a concept right away, or is taking a little longer to catch up with you or others, don’t yell at them. Be supportive, as everyone learns differently. Studying is definitely one of the worst “activities” and it is made worse by the fact that not only is break is so close you can taste it, but the advancement of everyone’s GPA’s is dependent upon how well it is done. So if someone is genuinely struggling, don’t make a bad situation worse for them. Be encouraging and keep your complaining at bay, or you may lose not only a study buddy but also a friend. Know when to use “tough love” and when to back off.

5. Have Fun

Yes, studying is super serious and finals are super important. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t add a little pizzazz to your studies. Use neon notecards or plan for really cool rewards like an off campus day trip if your group gets all A’s. Order fresh baked cookies if you’re up late. Make a song out of the vocabulary that’s harder to remember to the tune of your current favorite top 40 hit. Just because it’s finals doesn’t mean it can’t be fun.

Mixing friends and finals isn’t always the easiest thing to do, but it is possible. Plan accordingly and plan smart and you’ll be able to keep it 100 – in your friendship and on the test.  

Photo Sources

http://www.studier.org/effective-study-techniques-for-college-students 

https://twitter.com/taylor_bratten/status/410832280517496832

http://ivn.us/2013/12/30/improve-education-u-s-must-shift-focus-away-sta…

http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9644

Kiarra is a sophomore. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!