5 Tips for Following Facebook Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

A large percentage of everyone’s Facebook feed consists of recipes. Many of us have trouble scrolling past a video of the cheesiest homemade mac and cheese or three ingredient Oreo cheesecake. It all looks delectable and easy enough to follow, but anyone who has tried to make a recipe they found on Facebook knows just how difficult they can be. Before embarking on these seemingly painless endeavor, take a few precautions.

1. Read the comments under the video

This is the first tip for a reason; it’s by far the most important step to take. Learn from other people’s mistakes! The comments will let you know if you need to adjust some of the measurements or replace certain ingredients with others in order to make it taste better. The first time I tried a Facebook recipe, some dad from Indiana had the most helpful comment I could’ve asked for which ultimately saved my dinner.

2. Allow for way more time than the video suggests it will take

Part of the reason the recipes look so easy is because you’re watching a 30-second video that’s sped up and everything is done in single, smooth motions. The recipe itself will tell you how much time it takes to prep the meal and make it but take that with a grain of salt. Add another 20-30 minutes to your expected time spent in the kitchen.

3. Work with someone else

Two brains are better than one. You’ll have to make some adjustments to the recipe regardless of how many precautions you take and it’s good to have some reassurance from a second opinion. Plus, if the recipe gets messed up, you’re not the only one to blame!

4. Add some ingredients to taste

You know your taste buds better than anyone else. If one teaspoon of chili powder doesn’t sound like enough, add another teaspoon. The comments will also let you know if a recipe needs more or less than a given ingredient so make sure you take those into account.

5. Remember that practice makes perfect

If it doesn’t work out the first time (which is more than likely) remember that you can do it again! Learn from the mistakes you made the first time around to make it even better the second time…or third. 

photo credit: thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Katie is a freshman at VCU studying mass communications with a concentration in journalism. She loves attending concerts, James Franco's instagram selfies, quoting Will Ferrell movies, and her two dogs Laila and Frazier. You can follow her on twitter and instagram @katiebashista. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!