5 Things You Need in Your Backpack This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Everyone who has taken summer classes before understands the issues that can arise while walking to class in temperatures that can range anywhere from 80 to 105 degrees. These five essentials are some easy basics to help make your summer a little bit easier.

1. Sturdy Water Bottle

A good water bottle is a necessity for all college students. Trekking around campus for hours in the summer heat can lead to dehydration so a good water bottle is definitely something everyone should keep in their bag.

2. Umbrella

An umbrella is a very good thing to keep in the side of your bag for those days those summer rainstorms roll around unexpectedly.

3. Sunscreen

A good SPF 50 sunscreen is definitely a great thing to keep in your backpack. Even if you are not prone to getting sunburnt, it is always healthier to put a layer on so you decrease your risk of getting skin cancer later in life.

4. Sunglasses

Just like your skin, your eyes need to be protected also. A cute pair of sunglasses can last you a long time and your eyes will also thank you later.

5. Extra T-Shirts

An extra t-shirt is a good thing to keep in your backpack if you are prone to sweating. Trust me, it’s a lot better than to keep wearing a gross, wet shirt.

Photo Credit:  Cover 1 2 3 4 5

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!