This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I don’t know what it is lately, but I have found myself on the receiving end of one too many mansplanations lately. It seems like pretty much every day for the past couple weeks, someone has “kindly” taken it upon themselves to mansplain a situation to me. Because apparently, I give off the vibe of a helpless damsel who needs a knight in shining armor to come save me.

For those that don’t know, “mansplaining” is defined as being “a man explaining something to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.”

This can be something as annoyingly simple as a man slowing down his voice when he’s explaining something extremely simple because you may not be able to “keep up.” Or something as irritating as a man hearing something you say, and then repeating it back to you in his words.

This happens to everyone, and it can be intensely aggravating. Here’s the five thoughts you have while being mansplained, because I know most women can relate:

1. Are you f*cking kidding me?

This is the immediate reaction to being mansplained—you think “no, there’s no way that just happened,” or “how stupid does he think I am?” Immediate reactions may include anger, eye rolls, frustration and the need to clap back at this man and show him that you do NOT need to be mansplained, thank you very much.

2. That’s literally what I just said.

This is the reaction when a man tries to mansplain back to you something you just said—like thank you, I literally just said that. I don’t need you to dumb it down for me, thanks though!!!!

3. How stupid do you think I am?

This goes through every person’s mind when a man takes it upon themselves to mansplain something. Like, do I look like I need things dumbed down for me? Do I have “STUPID” written across my forehead or something? How did I give off the impression that I have no idea what’s going on?

4. What do I even say to this?

Seriously, if anyone knows a good response to being mansplained, please let me know—because seriously, what are you supposed to say to this? They usually follow up their mansplaination with a self-satisfied smirk, because they’re just ~so~ pleased with their “good deed” of the day. Do you crush their spirits, or let them continue to live in their fantasy world that they actually helped someone?

5. I really wish this would stop happening.

Fellas, let this be your personal PSA: mansplaining sucks. It sucks to have someone think that you don’t understand something, and have them make it their personal responsibility to explain it to you in as condescending a way as humanly possible. Let this be your personal lesson on what happens to the person you’re talking to when you do this—aka, being extremely uncomfortable and wishing it would end.

Mansplaining needs to stop, I’m a smart, capable and independent woman — who doesn’t need advice from a condescending and rude man. 

Photo credits: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!