This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Now that we are finally getting out of the winter weather slump, it is time to freshen up your skin care routine! Different routines are definitely one of my favorite parts of seasonal changes. I love being able to trade the heavy moisturizers and skin color enhancers, letting the sun do its thing to bring back your natural glow. However, instead of solely relying on products, you should keep your diet in mind because that alone can work wonders! These skin enhancing foods are ones that you most likely keep in your kitchen or are easy and fairly cheap to purchase from your local grocery store.

Strawberries

Surprisingly enough, strawberries are richer in vitamin C than oranges! They are an excellent agent to all skin types because they good for oily skin and also used to nourish and refresh dry skin. The acid in strawberries is very good for sebum removal. Sebum is needed for your skin but having too much increases acne. With that being said, strawberries are good for lightening the skin, removing any scarring that may come from acne or fading blemishes.

Water (duh)

This should be a given! Water is used as an internal moisturizer. The more hydrated you stay, the healthier your body. It radiates your skin from the inside out. For an extra boost for skin and immunity, add fruit to your water! 

Eggs

Eggs are a power food, loaded with proteins and vitamins. They are so good for your body nutrition-wise and, of course, are good for your skin. Aside from the amount of positive protein, vitamins and fatty acids eggs contain, they also have albumin. Albumin is a simple form of protein that helps tighten pores and clear blackheads.

Tomatoes

Growing up, I had a weird thing against tomatoes. My grandmother grows them in her garden and eats them as is with a hint of salt and pepper. I used to think it was the weirdest snack ever, but they grew on me eventually. I’m glad they did because tomatoes are so easy to eat alone or incorporate within a meal, such as sandwiches and salads, and they have great benefits for your spring/summer routine! Tomatoes are full of lycopene. Lycopene is a phytochemical that helps eliminate skin-aging free radicals caused by ultraviolet rays – this means they help with your skin health while in the sun!

Kale/Spinach, etc.

Kale, spinach and most other dark leafy greens contain vitamin K! Vitamin K helps to reduce the dark circles under your eyes and keeps your skin looking tight (wrinkle free) and new. Along with vitamin K, kale also has a great amount of vitamin C, which obviously boosts skin health by working with the collagen fibers of your skin.

Incorporating these items in daily meals is super easy!  This list is brief and, of course, there are many other effective foods that assist with health and radiation of your skin, but these are just a few of my favorites to keep it simple. 

Photo Credits: 1

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!