5 Simple Things to Improve Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Life is full of complicated things, so we learn to appreciate the simple aspects of life; the ones you don’t have to try for or pay for can benefit you the most.

Having a planner

We all stress. A LOT! The problem with life is that it hits you in waves; one week you will have absolutely no responsibilities and you can enjoy Netflix, while other weeks you have back-to-back meetings, tests, and assignments. Those who already have a planner can agree, once you start using one, you will use it religiously. There’s no point in remembering your to-do list for the day or week, when you can just write it down; there is already enough information in your brain. A planner or a wall calendar can help you prioritize your responsibilities. A mental to-do list only causes stress, so take a few seconds and write things down.

Trying new things

No matter how scary or how much you try to avoid it, CHANGE IS GOOD.  Something as small as change in hair color can give you a different perspective on life. Don’t be afraid to try new things; so go skinny-dipping, speak up in class, or talk to someone you’ve been too shy to. Trying new and exciting things can give you an adrenaline rush and cheer you up when you’re down. It can certainly be scary stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new, but sometimes it’s exactly what you need.  You never know what door might open for yourself when you attempt something new.

Intimacy

One of the strongest sensations in the world is the human touch. Intimacy does not just mean sex; intimacy can be a hug from a parent or a friend, it can even be a pat on the back. Scientifically, intimacy releases dopamine, which is the natural feel good drug your body releases. When someone close to you is upset, don’t underestimate the power of a long hug.

Taking time for yourself

With everything you do for your education, career and others, you definitely deserve some time for yourself. Don’t feel guilty when you want to have a lazy day and stay in bed with Netflix and snacks, or if you want to treat yourself to a shopping spree. Taking time out for yourself and giving yourself importance can be a nice break from reality, directly making you feel lighter and happier. 

Surrounding yourself with good people

We’ve heard it from our parents ever since we were old enough to go to school, and although we never really took them seriously about it, they knew what they were talking about.  Yes, we know a bad influence can make us choose terrible paths, but the power of good people is underestimated a lot. People that bring healthy competition, motivation, goals and positivity in life can completely change the atmosphere you work and live around which will improve your life tremendously.

None of these tips require tremendous amounts of hard work or sacrifice; so, don’t hesitate, and give them a try!

Amritha Nair is a double major in Psychology and Business Management at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is a member of many organizations on campus including greek life and numerous philanthropic organizations. Her writing has always been an outlet for her; her favorite pieces to write are short stories and poems that usually reflect personal experience or are inspired by other works of art. Other than writing, Amritha loves to swim, shop online, read, and binge watch shows on Netflix. Her heart lies with her family, close friends, and ice cream. You can follow her on twitter and Instagram at amrithanair16!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!