5 Must See Christmas Events Around RVA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, everyone is getting into the holiday spirit. Here are a five events around RVA that will be kicking off soon to get you into the holiday spirit.

1. Tacky Lights Tour

For your evening entertainment, take the beloved Richmond Tacky Lights Tour. Mapped routes are available each year that feature the most outlandishly decorated houses in the Region. This is one ride that won’t soon be forgotten! You can also get out of your car and go up to some of the houses for a closer look.  

2. Dominion Energy GardenFest of Lights at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden

On display from late November to early January, the Dominion GardenFest of Lights features more than half a million holiday lights arranged in botanical themes throughout the garden. This is a must-see event of the season. 

3. The Grand Illumination of James Center

Taking place on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017, from 5:50 to 7:00 p.m. at the James Center, the Grand Illumination of the James Center has been on Richmond’s must-do and see list of holiday events for years. Every year they raise money and gather donations of toys for the Greater Richmond Stop Child Abuse Now (SCAN) program. They also light up the James Center, as well as about 30 other surrounding buildings.

4. Virginia State Capitol

Designed by Thomas Jefferson in 1788, the Commonwealth’s Capitol gets into the holiday spirit when the Governor, First Lady, Santa and Virginia Military representatives join together for the lighting of the official state tree. The tree lighting is followed by an open house at the Executive Mansion, where the public can tour the Governor’s home in all its holiday cheer. 

5. The Jefferson Hotel

The Jefferson’s beautiful decorations, giant gingerbread house and a magnificent tree will put anybody in a holiday spirit. The Jefferson is a grand hotel in general, but it’s even more grand during the holidays!

Happy Holidays, collegiettes! Get your holiday spirit on and attend some of these festive RVA events!

Photo credits: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!