This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Summer is the perfect time to try something new. With warmer weather and more free time, summer gives college students the opportunity to take a real break and spend time exploring different things. Here are five hobbies to try this summer!

1. DIY: Instead of throwing out your olds clothes, furniture, etc. test out your craftier side and make them into something new. Pintrest has tons of DIY tutorials that can help you get started.

2. Hiking: There are plenty of trails in and around Richmond to check out. Start small and see how far you can go by August.

3. Scrapbooking: Organize all those pictures you’ve been posting on FB and Instagram and put them into one place. Scrapbooking is a great way to reminisce about fun times and they can be a wonderful gift for friends, particularly ones who just graduated or are about to.

4. Cooking: Maybe you’ve known how to make pastries from scratch since you were 5, but if the idea of making your own meals still terrifies you, take this summer to learn how to cook a dish that isn’t sold in the microwave aisle of Kroger.

5. Volunteering: It feels weird to say that this is a hobby, but the truth is volunteering when you have a hectic schedule can be difficult. If you’re sitting around this summer with nothing to do, then take time to learn more about your community by engaging and helping out. Here’s a website to check out if you’re interested in volunteering this summer!

Images from: here, here, here, here, and here

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!