This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When we first enter college, we are nothing but excited for what the future will bring. For those of us that go in with a major in mind, our passion and anticipation to dive into the field is intense. We give it everything we’ve got for a while and figure that we’ll see where the major takes us when the time comes to get into the workforce. As the reality of graduation starts to set in and these conversations become more serious, questioning a chosen career path is common. Questioning the field of work you’ve put effort into for the past few semesters is not a good feeling, but it’s, unfortunately, something that almost all of us will go through. It’s natural and can actually lead to a stronger finish.

1. You explore options within the field

Sometimes we become so caught up in the specifics of what we want to study that we forget to explore all of the possibilities. There can be dozens of subsections under a single major that we overlook because we think we’ve found the one that fits us best. When you begin to question your major, different concentrations within your major is the first place you’ll look.

2. You can save yourself from years of torture

It’s better to question your career choice now rather than when you’re deep in the field. There’s a way out at this point and if you really want to do something different with your life, now is one of the best times to do it.

3. You end up learning more

You’ll learn more about what your major entails when you begin to question it because you look deeper into it than you would have before.

4. You’ll have a newfound love for your major

After learning new things about your major, you’ll appreciate it and the people within it more. Now you’ll feel more confident telling people what you’re studying.

5. You’ll get refocused

The most important result of second guessing your major is that once you’ve got it figured out, you’ll be ready to go back in. You’ll have some of that fire back that you had when you started college. 

photo credit: thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Katie is a freshman at VCU studying mass communications with a concentration in journalism. She loves attending concerts, James Franco's instagram selfies, quoting Will Ferrell movies, and her two dogs Laila and Frazier. You can follow her on twitter and instagram @katiebashista. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!