4 Tips for Writing Effective Essays in a Short Amount of Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

One of the most dangerous breed of student is the “smart-but-lazy” procrastinator that must rely on skill, rather than knowledge, in order to accomplish anything. Years of barely meeting deadlines for assignments in school forced me to become crafty in regards to finishing homework, while still achieving a good grade, especially when it comes to writing essays. Below, I’ve refined a list of the methods I use to write an intelligent and concise paper, in order to help fellow negligent students that are drowning in impending due dates.

1. Come up with a thesis

The thesis is the purpose of the essay; therefore, it should be the most powerful and substantial element of the paper. Back in my days of high school AP classes, my teachers would tell me that if my thesis was strong enough, whoever ended up grading my essay wouldn’t focus too heavily on length. I tend to focus on the central point of what I’m trying to convey, that way when I actually sit down to write the rest of my thoughts. That way, I at least have an idea of the direction I want the paper to go in.

2. Identify three to four key points that prove the point of the thesis

In order for the thesis to work, you have to be able to prove the point you’re attempting to make in your paper. To improve the substance of the thesis, there has to be enough evidence to back the claim. After you come up with the thesis, you then distinguish the most fundamental components of your argument, which will ultimately ease the stress of having to form cohesive thoughts while struggling to meet a deadline.

3. Save the introduction for last

I find it impossible to introduce a paper I haven’t written yet. In high school, I would often think that during timed essays written in class, my conclusion ended up being stronger and more concise while my introduction was incomplete and lacked depth. Starting with the thesis and transitioning into the body of the paper allows you to develop your thoughts into an articulate introduction that provoke the reader’s interest.

4. Caffeine

Stressful times call for delicious measures; caffeine is the bread and butter of all of my essays. In any event that invokes stress because of an approaching deadline, coffee is my go-to for staying awake and focused. Another effective, less sleep depriving source of caffeine is tea, and for those who may be even lazier and irresponsible than me, energy drinks are the way to go to get as much done in as little time possible.  

Combining these four methods have always ensured me that I’m able to accomplish all my work, while still being able to put off my responsibilities until the last second. Hopefully, these tips are useful and can be replicated by anyone who finds themselves needing to slack off, but also striving to do well and want a passing grade.

Photo Credits: Cover Image, 1

Taylor is a junior at VCU majoring in English and caffeinated beverages. She likes reading books and writing short fiction as well as marathoning terrible reality television shows.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!