26 Signs You Go To VCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

1. You have a VCU I.D. (Yep, that’s foolproof.)

2. Everyone is from NOVA. (EVERYONE.)

3. You’ve yelled into the Ram horns. (“Helloooo?”)

4. And you’ve clapped in the middle of the Compass to hear the echo. (It’s true!)

5. You’ve suffered the aftermath of a Shafer meal. (Otherwise known as the Shafer Sh…we won’t go there.)

6. Half of your wardrobe is from Rumors. (Thou shalt not steal from Rumors.)

7. VCU Alerts don’t surprise you anymore. (Even when the robber was wearing chili pepper pajama pants.)

8. You can’t tell the difference between homeless people and hipsters. (“Can I bum a cigarette?”)

9. Dodging cyclists is like playing Frogger. (But in real life.)

10. The smell of the “Richmond Funk” no longer phases you. (What smell?)

11. Your favorite place in Richmond is Belle Isle. (…Come on.)

12. Half of your friends don’t even go to VCU. (“…they don’t?”)

13. And you meet someone who goes to U of R and you’re like… (…)

[pagebreak]

14. You have at least one piece of diningware from Shafer in your kitchen. (Because we’re paying for it anyway, right?)

15. You trip on the uneven sidewalks at least once a day. (High heels are a no-no.)

16. You tell everyone our football team is still undefeated. (It’s the truth.)

17. It’s finals week and you still have a ridiculous amount of swipes left. (Hello Shafer pizzas!)

18. You’ve had Saladino. (Did he just say three curse words in a row?)

19. You couldn’t find Room 101 in Harris Hall. (Freshman mistake.)

20. You’ve definitely registered to vote. (“Excuse me, are you registered to vote at your current address?”)

21. You go to the quiet floor in Cabell and people are still talking. (And crinkling paper and listening to music and…)

22. Village Cafe milkshakes… (Village Cafe milkshakes…)

23. You’re on first name basis with the workers at the 7/11 closest to where you live. (And they know exactly when to expect you.)

24. You won’t walk through Monroe Park alone at night. (Didn’t you ever hear about the homeless people in trees?)

25. You claim you’ve seen the Shafer bird. (You also claim it ate your food.)

26. You still don’t know what you want to do when you graduate. (Wait, what year am I?)

Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.