This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s finally fall! October is like a little slice of heaven on Earth for us. On top of the autumn leaves, pumpkin spice lattes and Halloween, we love nothing more than fall fashion. Flannels, UGG boots and circle scarves are some of our favorite staples but keep reading to upgrade your wardrobe with trends for this season.

1. Bomber jackets

Did you know that bomber jackets was Google’s most searched clothing item of 2016? Celebrities such as Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner and Kanye West have been rocking this military-inspired look. I hate to say it, but the bomber might just be the new leather jacket. You can dress it up or you can dress it down while staying nice and warm. Some popular colors for bombers are olive green, mauve and of course black.

2. Mock neck tops

Are turtlenecks too “winter” for you? Well you’re going to think mock neck tops are perfect. These tops stay close to the neck and are usually made with thin material such as polyester, spandex, nylon and cotton. You can easily layer up on top without dying of sweat throughout the day.

3. Velvet chokers

Chokers were a huge hit this summer and they sure aren’t going away for fall. Velvet is a hot material this season, so why not wear it as a choker? Even though it won’t keep your neck as warm as a circle scarf, it adds the right amount of spice to your outfit.

4. Clear-heel ankle boots

Want to step up your boot collection? Try something different and look for some chunky clear-heel ankle boots. They have been quite popular on the runway as well as reality TV star, Kim Kardashian. This is also another versatile item that can easily be casual with a pair of jeans or dressed up with a bodycon dress.

5. Camouflage print

Camo became extremely popular back in the 90’s but it’s certainly making a comeback this season. Retailers are selling camo print everything from tops to jackets, even dresses. Give up those basic black leggings and try rocking camo print pants when you’re feeling a little edgy.

6. Off-the-shoulder tops

These tops can be worn all year long. They come in crop tops, long sleeves, even cut-out shoulder tops. Whenever you’re feeling a little scandalous, this is the perfect way to show the right amount of skin for the cold weather.

7. Dusters

Dusters are full-length, lightweight coats. These remind me of trench coats except they are made with much lighter fabrics — usually crepe, cotton and even silk. Dusters are mostly sold in pastels or neutral colors. No matter what you are wearing underneath, throwing a duster over your outfit will give it an effortless chic look.

8. Rose-gold jewelry

For my ladies who love to accessorize, this is the perfect metal to wear this season! Rose gold accents really compliment a lot of trending fall colors such as burgundy, olive green and mustard yellow. Adding dainty pieces such as midi rings, small necklaces and arm cuffs to your outfit is a simple way to dress up a casual outfit.

9. Long-lined cardigans

It’s like a regular cardigan, but it goes all the way down to your knees. When you’re having one of those days you just don’t feel like dressing up, this will keep you comfy all day and serves as a little blanket during classes.

10. Bell sleeves

They’re making a comeback all the way from the 70s. Tops, dresses and rompers now are adding bell sleeves for a stylish and theatrical look.

11. Oversized denim jackets

Denim jackets went away for a while but they’re returning with a 90’s spin using fun patches and graphics on the back. Fashion icon Rihanna is seen here wearing a distressed oversized denim jacket instead of a classic fit for a more grunge look.

12. Suede skirts

Along with bell sleeves and chokers, suede skirts are another hippie fashion trend repeating itself this season. You can easily rock it with any of the other trendy tops on this list!

13. Thigh-high boots

Knee-high boots are so last year. Take your outfit to the next level with a pair of thigh-high boots! I promise you’ll even start walking with a little more sass, too.

14. Puffer vest

Puffer vests are perfect for the chillier days. Throw this over your favorite long-sleeve top and it will keep you warm and cozy. Brands sell these in a wide variety of colors so you shouldn’t have problem finding one that fits your style.

15.  Motorcycle-leather jackets

If you absolutely love having the leather jacket as a staple, a motorcycle jacket is something you must own in your wardrobe. Even though these jackets have more zippers than you need, this biker chic item is a classic.

16. Burgundy

This will forever be the ultimate fall color and it’s certainly not going anywhere this year. Be bold by incorporating matte burgundy lipstick and nails with any of your outfits. I recommend trying this the shade Notion by ColourPop’s Ultra Matte Lipstick and Bastille My Heart from OPI with a matte top coat to achieve the perfect look. 

Hope this article saved you some time from spending hours surfing Pinterest. Now go hurry and try out some of these trends for our favorite season is unfortunately the shortest!

Image 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Rachel is a marketing major from Virginia Commonwealth University. She was born in Indonesia and immigrated to New York City with her family when she was five years old. She loves Disney movies, makeup, and exploring cities. You can follow her on Instagram @rachelgeru.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!