Wellness > Mental Health

13 Things You Need to Know About Mood Disorder Medications

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

*This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions regarding your medical condition.

You might be at the same point I was last year, diagnosed with every disorder the DSM could spit out and being poked and prodded by numerous therapist and psychiatrists. Taking the leap to go on medication for Bipolar 1 disorder was the hardest decision I made, and I applied to college that same year. But don’t fret, if you are thinking about getting on medications or not sure if yours are doing the right thing, here are some pointers:

Pills Spilling
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon

They Might Not Work

I know, it sounds disappointing, but the sad fact is that it takes many different combinations and dosages to find just the right combo for you. Humans have yet to breach the blood-brain barrier, which in loose terms means that health care providers still can’t tell if you lack serotonin (happiness) or melatonin (sleep), among other chemicals. They just make blindfolded guesses and hope they will hit bulls-eye eventually.

It Will Take a Long Time to Feel Different

Not only will it take three to six months before your doctor will find medication(s) that will work for you, but it can take an extra month after that for you to feel a difference. The difference might not be positive either. You could wait a month just to feel worse or you could finally feel balanced. It’s all about patience.

You Will Gain Weight or Lose Weight

Many people experience weight gain due to mood disorder medications. It can be a positive step forward if you suffer from anorexia nervosa or generalized anxiety disorder, both having characteristics of weight loss. However, I was on Wellbutrin for three months and I lost 30 pounds. It’s all up to you and how your body works.

They Are Very Dangerous For Your Kidneys (And Other Organs)

Every organ that processes foreign substances is affected by medications. A great majority of mood disorder medications (Lithium, Trileptal and Lamictal), have distinct effects on your liver, kidneys and pancreas. They have to work twice as hard to absorb all of the chemicals you are putting into them. Always be sure to get regular blood tests with your doctor to check your sodium levels and if you are on Lithium, check your blood toxicity.

The Withdrawal is as Bad as You Think it Will Be

Even though they are not illegal substances and you take them to feel more stable, they are still drugs. Xanax is a very common anxiety medication but is also one of the most addictive. Withdraw effects from Xanax include seizures and uncontrollable tremors. Make sure to talk to your doctor about potential withdrawal effects before taking a substance.

They Can Make The Difference Between Surviving and Thriving

Medications are lifesavers. One little pill can change you from feeling helpless to getting help in a matter of a few weeks. Even if you are fairly stable, the right medication(s) can bring you from going day to day to enjoying your life and looking forward to waking up every morning.

You May Discover Other Smaller Symptoms You Never Noticed Before

When you take a medication, it will begin to clear some of your symptoms, however, when the big problems are gone, the little ones show up. Sometimes it can be hundreds of little pet peeves such as slight dizziness, sensitivity to light or an eye twitch you never noticed before. Be sure to know what was preexisting symptoms you have and what the side effects are of your medication.

They Are Nothing to be Ashamed of

The stigma about mental health is slowly fading, but there are still a great number of people who won’t understand your decision to take medication(s). You are not them. If they make you feel better and your doctor says you are healthy, you can make your decision and be proud of it. Medications are truly amazing if used correctly. Do not be angry at these people, but use it instead as a learning opportunity for them and you.

If Your Diagnosis is Episodic, Your Meds Will Work Episodically

Bipolar disorder is an episodic disorder and your medication will be on the same track. They may not work during a manic episode and they may overly work during a period of normality. Don’t stress out, it’s just your body working either ahead or behind of schedule. If you feel entirely unstable, talk to your doctor and never take more than your prescribed amount.

They Cure The Symptoms, Not The Illness

Bipolar disorder is a lifelong disorder. There is no cure for it, but the medication(s) that your doctor prescribes will cure the symptoms. There is no easy fix, just a lot of patience.

They Can Cause Mixed Episodes

Sometimes mood stabilizers can put you in a weird in-between zone called a ‘mixed episode,’ where you will be depressed and manic at the same time. There is really no explanation for it, but something you need to be prepared for. A majority of suicides happen during a mixed episode. Call your doctor or a hotline if you feel yourself becoming suicidal during a mixed episode.

They Work Best Alongside Therapy

The holy grail of helping mood disorders is a mix of medications and therapy. Individual therapy works best for many people, but there are plenty of other options such as group therapy and online anonymous therapy.

They Are Not a ‘Forever’ Solution

Medications are great for the here and now. They are a tool, not a permanent choice. The goal is to feel stable and the best way to do that is by working with your doctors to find your right combination. If you need to be on a little bit or for a long time, then do what works best for you. However, medications should not be your one and only way to recovery.

Don’t be afraid to take that next step and talk to your doctor about finding a medicine to help ease your mood disorder symptoms. Taking medication for a mood disorder is nothing to be ashamed of. Go ahead and help yourself so you can live better and feel better.

Mary McLean (nee Moody) is an avid writer and the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She is currently double majoring in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University. She has published three novels and is working on her fourth. She loves her cats Sully and Remy and will always mention them in every conversation. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging KickStart in the morning with her husband.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!