10 Ways to Stay Safe While Walking Home at Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Safety simply isn’t a given, even in an educational environment, so it is vital to take every precaution you can in order to prevent and avoid emergency circumstances. According to a study done by Trulia in 2011, the majority of violent crimes (i.e. assaults or robberies) occur around 9 p.m. Unfortunately, many students have no choice but to return home from classes after the sun has set. Here are a few suggestions on how to make your nightly walk home as safe as possible.

1. Charge your phone before you leave.

It may seem obvious, but having access to a phone in an emergency can make all the difference. Whether you’re the victim of a crime or merely a witness, you’ll want to notify authorities immediately. Additionally, there are many apps, such as SafeTrek, which offer alternative ways to let the police know that you’re in danger. So juice up your phone overnight or give it an extra boost during class; you never know when it might come in handy.

2. Travel in a group, if at all possible.

This tip is also a bit of a no-brainer. An attacker is far less likely to target you if you’re surrounded by others who would witness the crime and could potentially fight back. Try to find a classmate who lives in your building, or arrange a time to walk home with a roommate each night. There truly is strength in numbers.

3. Take the most efficient route home.

Minimizing the amount of time you spend meandering through the dark inherently minimizes your risk of being attacked. Walk quickly, avoid distractions and travel the fewest number of roads possible. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. If you have the choice between a dark alley next to the ABC Store that leads directly to the back of your dorm and a well-lit, well-populated main road that’s a block out of the way, you know what to do.

4. Carry pepper spray or something similar (and know how to use it).

Pepper spray can be shot at an attacker in order to cause a severe burning sensation that will overwhelm their eyes, nose, throat and skin. That being said, pepper spray is not so much a weapon as it is a shield. While it certainly will bide you time, don’t hang around to see its effects – run. Pepper spray keychains can be purchased from campus bookstores, department stores or even Amazon.

5. Be aware of your surroundings.

Seriously, take out your earbuds. That is all.

6. Make sure that someone knows where you are.

This is as easy as sharing your location with your friend or texting your roommate to let them know you’re on your way home from class. In many cases, emergencies go undetected for far too long because no one realizes that the victim is missing. Making your location known also helps your loved ones avoid paranoia. If your friend is concerned that you’re running 10 minutes late, she can simply click on your name and see that you’re just taking a pit stop at Chick-fil-a for a late-night milkshake.

7. Pay attention to traffic.

Accidents can happen. Do your best to wear bright colors that can be seen by drivers, and/or shine your phone’s flashlight as you cross the street. If you really must jaywalk, double or triple check to make sure that there isn’t a car (or a bike) zooming toward you. If you’re driving, be on the lookout for students who don’t heed these warnings.

8. Know some basic self-defense techniques.

Worst case scenarios are rare, but they do occur. Know how to properly make a fist, how to get out of a chokehold and where to kick. There are also many classes available – both online and in-person – if you wish to delve further into the world of self-defense. More techniques can be found here.

9. Keep valuables hidden.

Flinging around big-ticket items like your phone, laptop, cash or expensive jewelry can make you an easy target for potential robbers. As cute as your new wallet may be, it’s better off tucked away in your backpack during your walk home.

10. Opt in to receive VCU’s crime alert texts.

The best way to avoid danger on campus is to take notes from the university itself. Simply go to your myVCU portal and click on “manage emergency alerts.” This will take you to a page where you can enter your phone number and sign up to receive by-the-minute updates on nearby crimes such as shootings, robberies and assaults. The texts will tell you which blocks to avoid, as well as informing you once the situation has been resolved. The last thing you want to do is wander into an ongoing crime scene.

Stay safe out there everyone!

Photo credits: Cover photo by Audrey Ampomah, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Rachel is a 19-year-old writing, makeup, and nap enthusiast. She is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University, where she's majoring in Print and Online Journalism. She currently writes for Her Campus at VCU and The Commonwealth Times.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!