This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Whether it is the fear of failure or a poor testing history, test anxiety is a huge problem among many high school and college students around the world. Here are a few insider tips from someone who overcame test anxiety.

1. Join a study group

A study group is a great way to make friends from your class and answer questions that you may have. Study groups are also able to go over the material and help those who may not understand the topic completely. 

2. Make a study guide

This is a great way to show you what you need to work on. Study guides can also help keep you focused and a lot less likely to get overwhelmed by the material. Taking the material section by section and breaking it down separately can help a lot.

3. Get a good amount of sleep before the test

Let’s be real with each other. We all know that college students on average do not get more than six hours of sleep a night. However, these test nights you should try to go to bed a little earlier so that you are awake and refreshed for your test.

4. Talk to your professor about any questions you have

Office hours are great times to go and talk to professors about any questions you may have. These times are designated for your class to go and ask questions and talk with the professor about what you are having issues on. Take advantage of this great opportunity and if you cannot make it to their office hours then make an appointment with them.

5. Start studying a week before the test

Cover one chapter a day and at the end of the week go through all the material at once. Once this is done you will know exactly what you still need work on.

6. Go through each question one at a time and do not dwell

This is the best way, I feel, to be able to answer all the questions that you are 100 percent sure are correct. Then you can go back and concentrate on the ones that you are not as certain on. This also stops you from getting overwhelmed because you are answering the ones you are certain on and then taking your time on the others.

7. Use meditation/mindfulness to clear your mind

Bringing in outside stress into tests is one of the worst things to do during test day. Before you start the test take a moment to completely clear your mind and center yourself on the test. Drop all the excess and allow yourself to breathe.

8. Wake up early and don’t rush

Wake up about a half hour earlier than normal so you have time to make sure you have everything you need for the test. This also stops you from having to rush around in a fit of madness looking for a #2 pencil or your spare batteries for your calculator.

9. Eat before you test.

Make sure to eat a healthy snack before your test, it will help you to stay focused and keep your brain sharp. Eating blueberries or dark chocolate are a few snacks that help promote focus and memory!

Although testing times can be serious times for anxiety-ridden students, these tips will hopefully help you to overcome some of that anxiety. So go out there and knock it out of the park on your next test!

image credit: 2, 6

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!