10 Best Things About Having a Little Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

You always have someone who looks up to you

Remember when she used to copy absolutely everything you did? From the way you talked, walked and dressed, she wanted to be just like you. You’ve enjoyed watching her grow up into her own person over the years, but she still views you as her favorite role model.

You’ll always be needed

You’re basically her personal therapist and money-lender at this point. Your little sis trusts you with her life, whether it’s a fashion emergency or a boyfriend rant, you will forever be her first point of contact in the middle of a crisis.

You guys have an endless list of inside jokes

Growing up as each other’s best friends, you guys have a gallery of memories you’ve collected over the years. One of the best feelings is being able to give her that one look and laughing uncontrollably while everyone else in the room thinks you two are crazy.

You always have someone to tell secrets to

How many times have you and your little sister exchanged the words “Don’t tell mom”? You both try to keep each other out of trouble and if that doesn’t work then you both go down because you have each other’s backs.

You have two different wardrobes to choose from everyday

She was your little Barbie doll when you were younger for it was your job to get her dressed every morning. Now that you guys are older, making more money and have your own styles, you both pretty much have two closets to pick through.

You’re always the boss

As a big sister, you learn how to give orders naturally at a young age. An amazing benefit is having someone to fetch everything for you while you relax on the couch watching Netflix.

You always have a fan to cheer for you

You’re into soccer and she’s into theatre. Two completely different hobbies but you make sure to show up to every game and play because you’re each other’s biggest supporters. From your high school graduation to your wedding day, she’ll be there cheering at the top of her lungs for you.

You’re never bored staying in on a Friday night

She’s always down to watch chick flicks all night with you. And the best part is she lives right across the hallway, so every night can be a slumber party!

You will always have a shoulder to cry on

As much as she looks up to you for your advice and guidance, you need her just as much. She’s one of the few people in this world that you trust and you know she’ll always be there for you. When you’re happy, she’s happy. When you mourn, she mourns. And when you’re weird, she’ll be weird with you.

You’re strong because of her

The absolute best part about having a little sister is not being able to teach her everything you know, but how much she’s taught you to be the person you are. You learned to be strong, responsible and independent because you know that your little sister was depending on you to protect her and guide her through life. Being a big sister is natural to you, but she taught you to be a good friend along the way.

Rachel is a marketing major from Virginia Commonwealth University. She was born in Indonesia and immigrated to New York City with her family when she was five years old. She loves Disney movies, makeup, and exploring cities. You can follow her on Instagram @rachelgeru.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!