This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Last night’s Golden Globes was one for the history books. Fresh off of Rose McGowan’s damning accusations against Harvey Weinstein, Hollywood has taken a rather dramatic method of calling out it’s “sexism problem.” The #TimesUp campaign – a movement that formally began at the end of 2017 and includes several women and girls in the entertainment industry who are fighting for equality and the end of sexual harassment in Hollywood (and beyond) – called for nominees to attend The Globes in black to show their solidarity with the #TimesUp and #MeToo movements. A move that was well-intended, the call to action received both praise and criticism across the board. Many have pointed out that wearing a particular, especially one as universal as black, would not have an impact at an awards show as high profile as the Golden Globes. The skeptics, myself included, waited to see how Sunday night’s festivities would pan out in terms of catalyzing change in Hollywood.

It’s far too early to know the long-term effects such a mass display of protest will have on the future of the entertainment industry. However, that doesn’t erase the reality that even within the 24 hours since the show came to a conclusion there are several indications that a major shift is coming while still keeping the most vulnerable women in the shadows. Most notably was the ubiquity of celebrities in black on the red carpet. At first glance this may be perceived as a ubiquitous support of the #TimesUp movement, but this is more than likely not the case. It’s no secret that awards shows are one part recognizing entertainers for their work and two parts publicity stunts. Remember Esperanza Spalding winning the Grammy for Best New Artist in 2011 over Justin Bieber? Now, I’m not gonna pretend Bieber is a musical genius, but I was definitely shocked by Spalding’s win… and so were many others. So much so that the Recording Academy released a statement addressing it saying they thought it would be a good surprise for the audience. In this way, the #TimesUp blackout turned from a pure statement of solidarity into an opportunity for celebrities to up their likability factor or avoid bad publicity. I can guarantee that there was not one, not two, but MANY celebrities (male celebrities, in particular) who chose, either on their own volition or via the advice of a stylist, to wear black simply to avoid the reputation they would receive if they didn’t.

On the other hand, though, the all-black red carpet showed that it doesn’t have to take an army to start a revolution. Men and women alike are being forced to consider the effect sexual harassment has on media. It’s also given a platform for celebrities, in particular women, to be outspoken about their social and political beliefs. #TimesUp normalized speaking about controversial topics in a space where the most serious question women were ever asked was “Who are you wearing?” If nothing else, the 2018 Golden Globes will serve as an example of what happens when women are given the opportunity to create their own narratives. Only time will tell how last night will change the Golden Globes in the coming years, but I am looking forward to seeing radical movements like this at The Academy Awards, The Grammys, and the Emmys later this year.

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."