What It’s Like To Give Up Sugar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

After working at a bakery for the past three or four months, I started to realize my dependence on sugar was getting out of control. I’ve always always loved donuts, so being able to eat them at least three times a week was an opportunity I couldn’t seem to pass up. The only solution seemed to be cutting them out completely. In order to stop the cravings, I decided to give up sugar completely for 30 days. The one thing I learned outright is that you only have yourself to depend on. I tried roping in some friends to endure the struggle with me, but when they lapsed I couldn’t let myself off the hook. While I have tried healthy eating challenges before, it wasn’t until now that I realized how strong willed I could be. I faced dessert after dessert in many occasions when it could have been justified. At a fundraiser with free food I was so close to eating a mini bundt cake, and when my boyfriend’s parents came to town I didn’t order off the dessert menu and skipped the Nashville staples like Jeni’s and Sprinkles. While it was definitely hard to say “no,” I kept telling myself that “this will all still be there at the end of 30 days.” I can’t say I wasn’t disappointed to miss Starbuck’s cherry blossom frapaccino, I knew that sticking to my plan was going to be worth it. Within a week I didn’t look twice at the donuts I was selling, which was a huge morale boost. Instead of a sweet treat, I indulged in the other foods I liked that were much healthier, like sushi. I also made my own healthy cookies with oatmeal, bananas, and blueberries (which is unbelievably good for how simple it is) so that I didn’t feel like I couldn’t have something to enjoy. The second week was much harder, since I started to miss my favorite sweets. I’d also avoided bagels, bread, sugary drinks, protein bars, and even chai tea lattes. I’m currently at the end of my second week and some of these changes are things I’d like to make permanent. A friend of mine who had done a sugar free stint recommended having a “treat of the week” to help stay on track. The struggle is very real, but I’ve been so happy so far, and can’t wait to see what happens next.