Trends that Transition from Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

As summer transitions into fall, you may find yourself wondering how to balance the occasional cool day with the lingering summer heat. Luckily, there are some pieces that seem to have been created solely for this indeterminate stretch of “not summer” but “not quite fall.” 

1. Shoes:
Shoes are difficult during this time. It doesn’t seem to be full-fledged boot season, yet open toe summery sandals definitely feel wrong. Three good options are the short bootie, the white (or light colored) converse, and, what is surprisingly making a comeback, the Birkenstock. 

The short bootie gives you the boot feel (sometimes with a little heel) while also allowing you to show off some leg before the winter months force you into tights and pants. 
The converse is fun, casual, and most importantly, comfortable. The light colors keep you from venturing too deeply into the “emo” days of seventh grade dark converse, while also giving you just enough hipster edge to thrive in the Nashville environment. 
Surprisingly, Birkenstocks are a trend that have been seen everywhere from the runway to college campuses this season. While many may have thought of Birkenstocks as “hippy” or “orthopedic” in the past, they have revamped their look so that they are somewhat vintage and simultaneously hip (without the additional “py”). 
   2. Tops:
When it comes to tops, the two most versatile pieces are the light sweater or the flannel. Both are good when it comes to layering, which is especially important when the morning to afternoon transition can hold a 20 degree change in temperature.

By wearing a tank underneath either of these options, you will be prepared for whatever bipolar fluctuations the weather has in store. 

3. Bottoms:
For bottoms, the boyfriend jean and the skater skirt are two items that have been very popular lately and are easy to style for the time between summer and fall. The boyfriend jean can be worn with a tank, t-shirt, or even a sweater.

The skater skirt is light and airy enough for the summer months, but when paired with a sweater, tights, or booties, makes the smooth transition to fall.