Top 5 Reasons You Should Come to Dance Marathon this Saturday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

This Saturday, February 18th, Vanderbilt University Dance Marathon is hosting our annual 13.1-hour Dance Marathon Big Event in the SLC Ballroom from 11am to 12:06am (on Sunday). We’ve spent the past year raising money and awareness for Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, and now we want all of campus to come and celebrate with us and the kids! If you’re still not convinced, here are the top 5 reasons why you should come:

5. Performing groups: SO many of Vanderbilt’s student performance groups will be showcasing their talents throughout our Big Event, and you definitely don’t want to miss them. Momentum Dance Company, Tongue ‘N Cheek, the OC, the Bhangradores, many a cappella groups, and tons of others groups will be performing throughout the day, so come by to see all the Vandy talent For The Kids.

4. Food: Our 13.1-hour event will feature SO much food, most of it donated by our incredible partners like Chuy’s, Panda Express, Newk’s, Chick-Fil-A, Pizza Perfect, and Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream. Your ticket for the event will get you ALL of this food and more, which is definitely more than enough to sustain you for 13.1 hours of dancing and standing For The Kids.

3. Friends: VUDM is Vanderbilt’s largest student-run philanthropic organization. Over 1,200 students attended VUDM’s Big Event last year and if you add in all those students performing (see #5), you will almost definitely know people at the event. So come on out to support your friends & the kids!!

2. The Energy & Spirit: If you’ve never been to a Dance Marathon before, you really have to come to experience it. If you have been before, well the fun thing is that the atmosphere (and the 10-minute morale dance that we do hourly) changes a bit each year! Get excited for some great dancing, some fun times, some fantastic music, and our 12 different theme hours like a USA-hour, a holiday hour, and an animal-themed hour (presented by Love’s Travel Stops). The energy and excitement will build throughout the day until our final fundraising total recall and closing ceremonies that start just before midnight when we get to celebrate all that we’ve done For The Kids this year.

1. For The Kids: Ultimately, Dance Marathon is For The Kids! We have spent the past year raising funds & awareness for the incredible work that Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt does for kids and their families. On Saturday, we get to celebrate our Miracle Kids (current or former patients at Monroe Carell) & their families. When you meet them, you will totally understand what VUDM is all about, and on Sunday, you’ll start down the days until VUDM 2018!

So basically, you should come on Saturday because all 13.1 hours will be fun For The Kids (& for you)!!!