Stressed About Studying for the GRE? Start by Reading the News!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

As I opened my GRE study book, armed and ready to get into the thick of it, I was greeted by stress and anxiety regarding just how little I was prepared for this test. Since the GRE is such an important part of getting into graduate school, the idea that I was not at all prepared to take it left a large knot in my stomach. After completing my first practice test, I discovered that there were many “academic” words I didn’t know and thus could not use in the sentences I was given. As someone who requires more than just flashcards to learn a new word, I immediately decided that I needed to find a better way to learn words for the GRE.

After searching endlessly for a solution to my problem, I stumbled upon some really great advice: a helpful way to learn high level vocabulary is through something as simple as reading the news! As Vanderbilt students, we have a free subscription to The New York Times–a news outlet that provides hundreds of high level articles every day for people just like us to learn tons of new words (yes, I know that this is not why they write the articles–but it certainly is a nice perk!). As I read a few articles every morning, I write down the words I don’t know or that I am unsure about. Later in the day, I find the definitions and create a sentence using the word that is meaningful to me in some way or that uses word play to convey the meaning. I started this a week ago, and have already learned 50 new words! If you are feeling stressed about studying for the GRE, take a deep breath and just start reading.

As for the math portion? I’m leaving well enough alone for now. I’ll let you guys know how that goes (as soon as I get to it ?).

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."