Spotlight: Barre3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

This past Tuesday, we had our first-ever Her Campus event at Barre3 here in Nashville. Though there are many excellent studios in town that offer barre classes, Barre3 is by far the best. It combines ballet, yoga, and pilates to tone all of those little muscles you never work, while also giving you a place to breathe and relax. During class, our instructor told us that the Barre3 workout improves all aspects of your daily life, from being able to run faster to simply walking taller around town. I completely agree- I’ve noticed a huge change in my posture (and my legs!) since starting class, and I was so excited to share Barre3 with Her Campus on Tuesday! 

Here are some tips and tricks I’ve learned that will help you at your first-ever Barre3 class, so y’all won’t be as unprepared as I was! 

1) Wear form-fitting clothes. 

The first time I went to class, I was dressed in leggings and a big t-shirt, like I normally am for exercise. But at Barre3, it’s extremely important to be able to see your body’s alignment and the muscles you’re working, so it’s recommended to wear your leggings with a form-fitting t-shirt. Every time I’ve forgotten to do so, I regret it, because I can’t see if my back is aligned or if my biceps are working. So save the big t-shirts for your jogs around Vanderbilt and wear your tank tops to barre! Barre3 also sells some really cute tanks online and in the studio- I personally love this one that just arrived in-store! 

2) Don’t come to your first class with sore legs. 

If you just did a big run the day before and you’re still planning on attending your first Barre3 class, go ahead and re-schedule. You WILL regret attending class if you already have super-sore legs. While barre works every part of your body, it will absolutely kill your legs and butt, especially if you’re not used to the workout. So wait a little bit for your body to recover, and then schedule your first class so you can put your all into your workout! 

3) Use super-light weights.

I remember being really confused when my instructor told me to use the 1-2 pound weights for class. I normally use 12-15 pound weights… why would I need to drop down so much? I’m strong! Little did I know how quickly the arm workout would start to burn with just two pounds in my hands! I definitely recommend going light for your first class and going up from there. I still use 2-pounders after about two months of Barre3, and the arm work hasn’t gotten any easier! 

4) Don’t feel bad if you need to take a break! 

A lot of really fit girls come into their first barre class and expect to kill it right off the bat. But barre is a completely different workout from anything you’re likely used to, so don’t feel embarrassed if you need to take some modifications the first time. What’s great about Barre3 in particular is that the instructors are always advising you on modifications you can apply to the moves you’re doing in class, whether you have an injury or you’re just really struggling. Make sure to take them if you feel like you need them! Barre3 is all about working your body, but you should NEVER be in pain. This isn’t boot camp!  

5) Remember to breathe and focus on form.

This is especially important during the core section at the end of class. If you don’t focus on form, you likely won’t feel anything during the abs section, as the whole point of it is to work your transverse abdominals (AKA the layer underneath your six-pack). Barre3 focuses on training your abs to lay flat, so you won’t be doing any moves during class that cause your abs to pooch out. The key to feeling all of the moves you do during core is to focus on your breathing and really listen when the instructor tells you about form. If it’s your first class, the instructor will usually help you if you look like you aren’t getting it. But just focus on form and you’ll be feeling the burn in no time! 

Thanks so much for the free class, Barre3! We will definitely be back :) 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.