Rainy Day Cook-It-Yourself Comfort Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

One of the first things you learn about living in Nashville is the need to carry an umbrella with you at all times—there is almost always a chance of rain. I don’t know about you, but for me thunderstorms mean time to stay under the covers with a good movie and some delicious comfort food. The only issue is that this combination doesn’t exactly bode well for a healthy lifestyle. I took this as a challenge to perfect a hearty, healthy, and most importantly, tasty chili. This simple recipe mostly consists of opening cans and stirring the pot every once in a while.

What you’ll need:
–       1 lbs lean ground turkey
–       1 can black beans
–       2 cans cannellini beans (or sub red kidney beans)
–       1 large can of whole tomatoes
–       1 clove of garlic
–       1 onion
–       1 green pepper
–       ½ cup of mushrooms
–       ½ cup of Quinoa (uncooked)
–       Chicken stock
–       Seasonings: Italian seasoning, garlic salt, chili powder

Supplies:
–       Sauté pan
–       Large pot
–       2 large spoons
–       Can opener
–       Colander
–       Knife

How to do it:

The best-tasting chili is usually left to simmer for quite some time. It allows for the flavors to blend together and add to the depth of the chili. With this being said, this recipe does take longer than my others but it is easy to break it up into three steps to better accommodate your schedule.

The first step is to brown the ground turkey. Start with olive oil in the pan on medium heat. Dice 1 onion and 1 clove of garlic. When the oil is hot, add them to the pan. The turkey needs to be defrosted and then you can add that to the pan as well. Break up the meat in the pan. I prefer my turkey to be in a little bit bigger chunks because it adds to the overall texture and thickness of the chili. It is best to season as you go with Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and chili powder to give it that kick. There is no exact science and it depends on what tastes you prefer. Once the turkey is cooked you have accomplished the first step!

The next step is basically throwing everything in the pot. In the large pot on medium heat, add the (rinsed and strained) black beans and cannellini beans. Add the can of tomatoes to the beans. Chop the green pepper and mushrooms. Add some seasoning and stir. Keep in mind that you can add whatever veggies you prefer. Pretty much anything will work in this concoction. I really like the green pepper because it enhances the spicy chili flavor. Once you’ve added all the veggies and beans you can add the turkey and onions. There should be a good amount of liquid in the pot but you can add chicken stock, being careful to not totally submerge the ingredients.

Lastly, allow the pot to simmer for three hours in order to achieve the best meld of flavors. When it is ready add some cheese and tortilla chips on top. I promise you will not be disappointed!

Bon Appétit!

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!