Isabel Nepomuceno ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.
Name: Isabel Nepomuceno
Hometown: Manila, Philippines
Year: Sophomore

Relay for Life Cancer Awareness Co-Chair, Vanderbilt Microfinance Club Vice President, Club Field Hockey, Alpha Delta Pi, Dore for a Day Host, Project LIFE Mentor, ASB, Vanderbilt Panhellenic Diversity Allies Taskforce Member

What do you do as a member of the Relay for Life Board?
As Cancer Awareness Co-Chair, my main responsibility is managing the weekly Relay booths on Rand and Commons to raise awareness for cancer. I work with a Co to determine the weekly themes, prizes, and activities for the booths.

Why do you Relay?
I relay for my grandmother, who unfortunately lost her battle to breast cancer while I was in high school.  I relay for more memories, birthdays, and because no one should ever hear the words “you have cancer” again. I relay because I believe that cancer is a curable disease. 

What is your favorite part about Vanderbilt Relay for Life? 
My favorite part about Vanderbilt Relay for Life is working with such a passionate, dedicated board! I feel like every person on the RFL board genuinely wants to make a difference and wants to help others. The RFL board inspires me to do the best work I could possibly do.

What is your favorite thing about Vanderbilt?
My favorite thing about Vanderbilt is the people! I love being part of such a collaborative environment where I learn from others as much as they learn from me. I was initially nervous about being so far away from home, but Vanderbilt has exceeded my expectations and so much more.  I couldn’t imagine being at college at any place else.