Not Your Average Neuro Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.
Name: Sarah Millan
Year: ‘16

How did you become interested in neuroscience as a major?
I was originally undecided and I enrolled in a sculptural ceramics class freshman year. However, my roommate wanted me to take NSC 201 with her and eventually convinced me to switch my classes during the add/drop period. I ended up loving the class, and making it one of my majors.

What do you want to do after college? Is neuroscience something you want to incorporate into a career?
I want to go abroad to do biological research for a year, maybe in Switzerland, and then come back for medical school. Ideally, I would love to be a neurosurgeon in the future, but I could also see myself getting a Ph.D in neuroscience as well. 

Why did you decide to become involved with the executive board for neuroscience majors?
I decided to apply for the position because I truly find the subject interesting.

What position do you hold? What does your position entail?
I am co-chair for mentoring, and with this position, I am in charge of planning mentoring events and pairings for underclassmen with upperclassmen neuroscience majors.

What else are you involved in on campus?
I am also a member of Vanderbilt Students Volunteering for Science at the Vanderbilt Children’s hospital, I am on the executive board of Best Buddies, a member of Alpha Epsilon Delta, a member of the Spanish honor society Sigma Delta Pi, a member of National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and a member of Pi Beta Phi.

What’s your favorite part of being a commodore?
Anchoring Down.