My Latest Obsession: Jane the Virgin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Over Thanksgiving break, while most people were either hanging out with their families or preparing for finals, I was busy feeding a newfound addiction.  I had always intended to start watching Jane the Virgin, but I could never find the time.  However, procrastination frequently paves the way for exploring new entertainment opportunities.  I was initially skeptical about whether or not I would like this show as it mimics the style of a telenovela, and I am not a huge fan of overly dramatic storylines.

Apparently, I know nothing about myself because I. AM. HOOKED.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so emotionally involved in a television show.  There are so many reasons to love this show, whether it be the writing, the strong representation of diverse Latina female characters, or the eye candy. I mean, have you SEEN Justin Baldoni. (Google him. I’ll wait) I frequently find myself yelling at the TV screen and experiencing a full range of emotions with each and every episode. Also, Gina Rodriguez is a goddess, but it’s no big deal.

If you find yourself with an exorbitant amount of free time (or just need a reason to procrastinate), head over to Netflix and give Jane the Virgin a chance.  You won’t be disappointed.