My Flu Days: An Educational Memoir

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

We’ve all been there- you wake up, throat sore, nose stuffy, and try to convince yourself that you aren’t sick. But let me tell you guys, the flu is real and it is HERE. Be afraid for your lives. My cautionary tale is as follows:

Day 1 and 2: Denial

Not only did I tell myself that I wasn’t sick, but I also actively campaigned for my body to power though it and went full speed with my normal routine. Note: this is a terrible idea. Would not recommend.

Day 3: The Reckoning

Woke up. Powered through my one class of the day, battling the shivers of a high fever in a classroom where everyone else was sweating. Booked it over to student health. Was forced to give up my last shred of dignity and wear a mask. The reckoning was not fun, but it was necessary, because, it brought me to…

Day 4: Acceptance

After emailing my professors and swearing off any attempts at maintaining my study schedule, I crawled into bed with about 12 water bottles, a big bag of goldfish, and Netflix. The next 24 hours were just a blur of naps and multiple seasons of Friends, clouded with the haze of heavy-duty decongestants. ‘Twas a wonderful time (save the insane body temperature fluctuations).

Day 5: The Emergence

After a full day of hibernation and way more Advil than is medically recommended, I woke up to a body temp of 97.1 (Side note: am I slowly freezing to death? Input is welcome and encouraged). Milking it for all I could, I stayed in bed hermit style until about 3 PM until I got up and GOT MY LIFE TOGETHER I’ve slayed this flu. *knock on wood*

WHAT I’VE LEARNED:

1) The flu shot was a sham. I endured the trauma of a needle stab for nothing.

2) Tamiflu, when you don’t have your prescription insurance card (thanks for sending me to college without that, Dad), is $150. This is absolute insanity.

3) Fluids y’all. FLUIDS.

4) Professors are actually really understanding sometimes if you’ve been diagnosed with a very contagious illness

And, finally…

5) USE ALL OF THE HAND SANITIZER. SAVE YOURSELVES BEFORE YOU, TOO, FALL TO THIS CRUEL BEAST.

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.