Meet Justine Ker of PCC LEAPS!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

When I saw my sorority sister, Justine, killing it in a PCC LEAPS recruitment video, I knew I had to interview her for this week’s campus celebrity. She always seems so put-together, which is commendable considering her busy schedule. Read on to find out more about Justine and why you should apply to PCC Leaps! 

1) Why did you get involved with PCC Leaps?LEAPS just started a little more than a year ago on campus, and when I first heard about it, I really wanted to be involved in what they do. I applied and interviewed, and apparently, they liked me! Now I get to have a role in making the PCC more accessible and approachable to all students on campus. A lot of people don’t go to the PCC because they feel uncomfortable approaching someone about their situation, think it’s too far away, or generally don’t know what the PCC is or does; but there’s actually so much that the PCC can offer the average student at Vandy. I would really encourage everyone to check it out (even if it’s just the website) if they get the chance!

2) What does the organization do on campus?In general, LEAPS members act as liaisons for the PCC on campus in order to break down the stigma associated with mental health and with seeking help.  We want to make sure more students on campus are aware of the services that the PCC offers to them, and we want to spread awareness and understanding of the prominent mental health issues on campus.  If you need a friend to go to the PCC with you, we’ll be there to take you. A lot of what we do is event programming throughout the year, so while we’re working on encouraging more students to go to the PCC, we’ve also been bringing the PCC to campus! For example, we had a “Let’s Talk About Suicide” panel open for everyone to attend, and we did a “Confidence through VUlnerability” event with Panhellenic. 

3) Why should Her Campus readers apply to PCC Leaps?We’re working on getting puppies at our Spring Stress Fest if that’s incentive enough! But actually, LEAPS is an awesome opportunity for anyone who is interested in anything about mental health at all. If you want to learn how to how to approach the topic of mental health and wellness or how to confront friends or classmates who may be having problems or is simply stressed out (or you just want to help people in general), LEAPS is definitely the organization you want to be in.

4) What other campus organizations are you involved in?I’m currently VP-Growth and Engagement of Vanderbilt CKI, which is a service organization on campus, and last year, I was a Girl Scouts Chair for my sorority, Kappa Delta.  Last semester I joined InterAxon, which is a group that tutors Nashville-area school in neuroscience.

5) How do you stay sane during midterm season?I think one of the most important things I do is take the time to breathe and do something non-school related during the week. It’s one of the best de-stressors for me to go out to eat with friends or watch something on Netflix.  Massages are pretty great, too…(the PCC website has a ton of links to guided relaxation under the Student Service-Mind Body lab, as well)

6) Where do you see yourself in five years?Crossing my fingers to be somewhere in medical school, but who knows?  Whatever it is, I hope I’ll be doing something that’s improving the lives of those around me.

7) Speed round….Favorite ice cream flavor- PistachioFavorite Nashville restaurant- Loveless CafeFavorite TV show- Game of Thrones!!!Favorite workout- PopilatesCelebrity crush- Chris Pine

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.